PDA

View Full Version : PCB Design Software whos ur fav

vikas
02-13-2011, 09:35 AM
I currently use Eagle Free version , for DIP and SMD. 2 Layers is what i do max for most small gigs so free works fine. Ive added Sparkfun and adfruit libraries and customized Sparkfun eagle script to customize it to my own needs.

No real complaints but i would prefer to have a custom library with all commonly used components than 100's which i will never use.... maybe time to make one.

What do you guys use ?

allbits
02-13-2011, 10:35 AM
orcad. 9.1. Never used anything else, and dont know how to use anything else. Got too comfortable with this one, and dont feel like even looking into other things.

Well, i did not buy it, I have access to it, at a place where they have a licence. :)

pratheek
02-13-2011, 10:52 AM
Eagle is what I use after trying out a lot of other PCB designing softwares.

No real complaints but i would prefer to have a custom library with all commonly used components than 100's which i will never use.... maybe time to make one.

The Adafruit library already does that.

biscuit
02-13-2011, 01:55 PM
I would strongly recommend freepcb
http://www.freepcb.com/
Its is open source , great to use, great community and great support from allan

Pimpom
02-13-2011, 08:26 PM
I have access to Orcad and Protel, but prefer the less sophisticated Circuit Maker 2000, especially the PCB designer part "Traxmaker". I've been using it for about ten years now and have built up my own footprint library for a few hundred components, to the point where I never use the original library that came with the program anymore.

I really like Traxmaker. Using it is intuitive and straightforward. I have only one criticism: When designing a PCB manually instead of the schematic capture option, there's no way to stop it from automatically assigning serial numbers to each component, like R1, R2, C1, C2, etc. The serial numbers can be deleted after placing the component, but it's a bit of a pain when dozens of components are involved.

The schematic portion of CM2000 "CircuitMaker" is slightly finicky, but OK - a typical Windows software. The schematic can be captured in Traxmaker and can be autorouted. It also has a simulation feature which often comes in useful.

IIRC, CM2000 cost about 60K when I got it, so it's not really for hobbyists, but it's cheap compared to Protel which cost about 1.2 million at that time! I've heard good things about Eagle, FreePCB, KiCAD and ExpressPCB, but have not used them myself.

Jayesh
02-13-2011, 10:45 PM
gEDA suite
Open source, GPL
easy to use, export to gerbers, png, postscript & gcode.

vikas
02-14-2011, 04:35 PM
Did not know so many PCB softwares going around ... maybe will stick to Eagle since most open source hardware guys support it.

debu
02-14-2011, 06:12 PM
I use Proteus, mostly because it comes with VSM and ModelSim has a plugin for isis which makes verifying design integrity very easy. Also, it is very reasonably priced compared to other packages with similar features such as Altium. One other feature is that LabCenter has a part-library subscription service, so in every update I get the latest parts for the library (which is quite convenient if you're lazy like me and don't like to build your own parts). I also use eagle from time to time, but mostly because as a hobbyist, half the schematics out there are on eagle.

Regards,

Debu :)

asimov_18
02-15-2011, 11:10 PM
Try Kicad...its a good open source software...I liked using it.

Asimov

akshay66
02-16-2011, 11:44 PM
Hi all,

I've always used ExpressPCB &Tina80.

shobhitkukreti
02-17-2011, 06:52 PM
Proteus + Ares + Electra Autorouter works well for my small projects

ASKI
02-21-2011, 08:11 AM
GNU PCB are there others?