PDA

View Full Version : Usbasp

dheeraj91
03-27-2011, 01:38 PM
Recently I wanted to make a usb programmer for myself and made usbasp from here:http://www.scienceprog.com/building-and-installing-usbasp-usb-programmer-of-avr-microcontrollers/

I made the programmer and then have flashed it with a serial port based programmer and ponyprog with the latest firmware.I only set the fuse bits : CKOPT, BOOTSZ1, BOOTSZ0, BODEN, SUT0 ticked and the others unticked.

When i connected it to my sytem, the led is on but the programmer isnt being detected by my system.My os is windows xp sp2.My system says "USB DEVICE NOT RECOGNIZED" with a yellow !.

Please help me.

dheeraj91
03-29-2011, 04:26 PM
I think that the fuse bit settings are the problem.I already lost two atmega8l while trying to set the fuses right.We dont get atmega8 but we get atmega8l so am using that.Please help me.Am in need of it.

claus
03-30-2011, 05:26 PM
if you have another working atmega then write a program to turn on and off one of the ports with the frequency of the clock at 1Mhz. this creates a 1Mhz clock signal at the ports. now connect one of the ports output to the XTAL1 of the dead atmega. this will get it up and running as usual and you can fix the fuse bits properly.

dheeraj91
03-31-2011, 08:01 PM
Can you explain the procedure in a bit more detailed way please so that i can do the job easily.

pratheek
03-31-2011, 08:30 PM
You may use this app to calculate the fuse bits for a AVR MCU - http://www.engbedded.com/fusecalc/

For the USBasp, open the makefile to get the exact fuse settings.

Also, if you are using an Atmega8L at 12Mhz (or > 8Mhz for that matter) make sure you have a stable 5V power supply else you may damage the microcontroller.

dheeraj91
04-01-2011, 06:47 AM
I am using the power of the usb itself.Will that not be sufficient.Else should i use a 7805 to maitain the stable voltage there

pratheek
04-02-2011, 02:12 PM
It should work fine with the USB power.

Try doing what claus suggested.

hotshot05
04-04-2011, 02:56 AM
Also, if you are using an Atmega8L at 12Mhz (or > 8Mhz for that matter) make sure you have a stable 5V power supply else you may damage the microcontroller.

Isn't 8Mhz the maximum frequency of the Atmega 8L???

I wanted to make a USBAsp based programmer too but stopped my work since I did not find an Atmega8.
Will the Atmega 8L work with a 12Mhz oscillator???

dheeraj91
04-04-2011, 06:53 AM
I have seen in a couple of forms that they have made usbasp with atmega8l.So I went forward.

dheeraj91
04-06-2011, 06:41 AM
Hey, my usbasp is working fine and that too with atmega8l itself.I just set the fuse bits as needed and as it was not working that day.Yesterday , i soldered all the connections once again and connected it to my system and it was detected and is working now.

Thanks to all of you.I havent yet tried the method that claus suggested to me, will try it tomorrow