PDA

View Full Version : Readymade robotic base kit

gnmanoj
09-25-2011, 11:50 AM
Hello,

I am working on robotic project. I could somewhat manage electronics and programming part of it, but I am struggling with mechanical construction of the same.

Though I went through many online robotics stores in India, unfortunately I couldn’t find decent robotic base kit which can carry some weight (a good battery and some additional stuff like electronics/cameras/sensors/manipulator etc..) ,move on wheels quickly and reliably.

Since I am not able to find such a readymade base kit to buy I tried making it myself. I put lot efforts, spent time and money, nevertheless all those were failures.

I am looking for readymade mobile robotic platform on which I can build up electronics and other components. More specifically I am looking for something similar to the link mentioned below.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?118838-Robotics-Base-for-the-12V-Motor-Mount-Wheel-Kit-(27971)-and-Caster-Wheel-(28971&p=869245

Appreciate your opinions and thought on this subject.

Regards

vikas
09-25-2011, 12:52 PM
The link shown costs around 800+ USD i think , What do you wish to do and what is your budget ? And yes how much weight is the robot supposed to carry.

You can also look into irobot create.

gnmanoj
09-25-2011, 10:20 PM
Hi Vikas,

Thanks for the quick response

At an overall level, I am working on a mobile robotic platform which is remotely controllable (currently my program use Arduino mega and zigbee for this) . For the indented purpose, this machine has to travel a bit longer (at least 1KM) in single charge (this is my major issue, weight of the battery). In addition to this the machine has to carry a good quality video camera, laptop and a manipulator. Overall the weight it supposes to carry is around 12 Kg.

Yes, the price of the product which I mentioned above is $800 plus, but if you look at its details, that product basically a round shaped plywood with windshield wiper motors and very good quality H-bridge, of course they had done some very good value addition by adding a set of encoders, CNC tooled fixing mechanism for windshield motor etc….. . My wishful thinking is that it can work out around Rs15K in India. Major advantages I see in that product are flexibility, weight carrying capacity, torque and speed.

Thanks for the suggestion of iRobot, looks like a good platform, I went thru their website, as per the website they have an office in Mysore; I am looking to speak to them about their products as the website lacks specification details.

But still the wiper motor based platform looks great for my intended purpose, if I can make it between 10-15 thousand. I will give a try!!

Regards

roopakjada
09-27-2011, 11:28 AM
the base with the specifications you are posting can be made in 10 - 15 thousand easily you can get custom laser cut balsa from www.rcelectro.com look around for good quality motor you can easily get medium cost motors for your specifications but continuously running them for 1Km will damage them so you will need to look into High quality. The battery also will be expensive

gnmanoj
10-02-2011, 08:26 PM
Hi Roopak,

Sorry for delay in responding, I was out of station for a week.

I already made the wooden base (from nearest carpentry workshop) and it came out well. Looks like the window or wiper motor is not going to work out for me (its lot of mechanical work to fix a wheel and encoder on them also not that easy to mount on the base). Still looking for suitable gearbox and motor for this base .

Any suggestions from the forum members are welcome.

Regards

lastRites
10-03-2011, 10:58 AM
http://www.nex-robotics.com/products/motors-and-accessories/200-rpm-super-hercules-dc-motor-with-planetary-gearbox.html