PDA

View Full Version : Golf ball Gun

sudarshan
01-09-2012, 06:45 PM
Hi guys,
i am making a golf ball(diameter 1.680 in (42.67 mm)) gun .
thing is i need to pickup a ball from ground level and shoot it (any distance).
i am not in need of any compressed air based, or explosive based ,etc. i need it work with motors.

i have tried many mechanisms like catapult, sling shots, etc but all seems to have some problem in shooting or picking up or loading or shooting.

any suggestions , links , designs are welcomed

Thanks in advance.

lolman_returns
01-10-2012, 04:33 AM
Look up wheel driven tennis ball launchers. The mechanism is simple and easy to implement. For golf balls it can be made much smaller with lighter motors. Picking up the balls is something you have to figure out.

But I remember seeing a simple yet effective technique, this team had to participate in a manual robot contest where they had to pick up ping pong balls from the floor and drop them in a basket in the middle of the arena. So they had a cardboard tube, with a stretched - deflated balloon with a slit in the middle, on one side and open-ended from the other. They would position the tube right on top of a ball and just bring it down, the slit would expand and the ball would enter the tube not being able to escape once inside (like a valve), they collected 3-4 balls at a time and then they would go to the basket and tilt the tube to its open side and the balls would roll out.

You can have the same mechanism except the balls roll into the two wheel structure which launches the ball. If you need the underlying physics for the mechanism, read the following post:

http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=76293