PDA

View Full Version : India’s robonaut

Igor.Gabrielan
04-16-2012, 01:35 PM
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/home/science/India-to-join-robotic-operations-in-outer-space/articleshow/12681497.cms

vikas
04-16-2012, 01:59 PM
Waste of tax payers money , The 500 Cr will become 5000 Cr and then will disappear :) ... finding alien life. Alien Ghotala :) .

Just news making hype , i dont see anything out of it.

Better invest money in tech which actually will help improve lives.

Igor.Gabrielan
04-16-2012, 02:17 PM
RS. 500 Cr is 5 billion rupees? 100 million dollars?
Is it possible that you have stolen in India?
Who? Aliens? :)
Ghotala - a way of stealing public money?

vikas
04-16-2012, 02:27 PM
This amount is penny change compared to The big daddy of scams already done

http://www.squamble.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Scams-in-India.png

Igor.Gabrielan
04-16-2012, 02:43 PM
Big country - big scam.

Igor.Gabrielan
04-16-2012, 03:02 PM
In Ukraine, in June, will begin the European football championship and a few billion dollars spent in vain, the economy is adversely affected, though in space exploration Ukraine participates jointly with Russia, Brazil and other countries,
involved in the project SeeLunch.

vikas
04-16-2012, 03:31 PM
We have cricket here for that ... every other sport is neglected :) .

Anyhow how come u registered at Ri ?

roopakjada
04-16-2012, 03:57 PM
hehe corruption and wastage of money! :P waste of time even talking about it :rolleyes:
BTW instead of robonaut the money should be donated to fund innovation in the country.

Igor.Gabrielan
04-16-2012, 04:04 PM
We have cricket here for that ... every other sport is neglected :) .

Anyhow how come u registered at Ri ?

Robots in India seem to play more football (soccer) than in cricket :)

Igor.Gabrielan
04-16-2012, 04:07 PM
It is unclear, the government wants to develop a completely new Indian Space robot or to participate in the development of western counterparts?

Igor.Gabrielan
04-16-2012, 04:16 PM
India’s plan to use robots to assist astronauts on Moon mission

http://robotzeitgeist.com/2007/05/indias-plan-to-use-robots-to-assist.html

RONAKJAIN
04-19-2012, 09:50 PM
I think this the right step by GOI
This will encourage youngsters to seriously pursue robotics and not just hobby.

pratik_1
04-20-2012, 12:01 AM
look at the glass half full guys...wud u rather have the money go towards another subsidy to buy votes...or some scientific project. Also I think India needs exactly this kind of S&T investments - to fire up some imagination in young minds

lolman_returns
04-20-2012, 12:15 AM
Just to bring everyone to speed here. This project was suggested 5 years back. All the "theoretical" funding and paperwork had been released in 2007 already. I don't know if our universities are just too shy to discuss about their progress or if the project is really top secret but unless I see it or read about it , I don't believe that there is any such thing in the works.

Supposedly the 2011(initially delayed to 2014 and now to 2016) launch of a "theoretical" space expedition chandrayaan 2 was to have a "desi robonaut" on it. In the academic field, most of us don't care about media unless we REALLY need funding. We show our progress by timely publications in reputed conferences and journals. To be honest, I haven't seen any publications so far that discuss such a project.

Having said all that, I am with pratik regarding the flow of funds. Unless we have better resources, ideas can't be converted to reality. At least some of the decent engineering students lose their interest on projects when the university asks them to make it out of their own pocket. Some sort of funding would keep the students interested.

allbits
04-20-2012, 01:06 AM
We plan a lot, talk about the plans and then do nothing.

and worse, media, in India is too manipulative, very misguiding, and stupid. Worse than politicians. I have stopped looking at sensational news in newspapers.