PDA

View Full Version : Detecting an object with a sensor

Sadanand
04-20-2012, 07:30 AM
Hi all,
I am new here .
I was planning to do a simple robot which can detect waste materials like waste paper, plastics, dead leaves , twigs etc
But I am sure that we will not get an exact sensor which does all these things.
Initially I thought to capture the image and do some image processing stuff to identify but that will be more trickier and difficult
Later I thought if I found a sensor which can detect something based on its dimension ( width , height ) it would be great.
Because based on dimension if it can detect an object then I simply mark it as a waste material ( for time being this much is ok for me )

Can any one please let me know a good sensor which can does what is needed for me ?
also let me know what micro-controller I can use for that sensor

Thanks & Regards,
Sadanand

vikas
04-20-2012, 11:54 AM
Any image processing is not possible on low end microcontrollers , use something like ARM 9 + . So look for Rasppi / beagle bone etc.

Anyhow here is a complete report of a similar project

https://www.ce.utwente.nl/aigaion/attachments/single/355

Sadanand
04-24-2012, 07:42 AM
Thank you Vikas.

shakerobo
04-27-2012, 01:02 PM
otherwise you can also use arduino and a camera connected to the serial port of the pc for the required task.

the pc would do the image processing and just send commands to the arduino through another serial port.

in all boards like raspi are cheaper to arduino but they are quite advanced for a beginner.

Regards,
Gp