PDA

View Full Version : Guidance for further projects in Robotics

everlearner2611
07-13-2012, 12:24 AM
Hey guys.My name is keyshav.i recently completed making 2 robots. the first one was the textbook robot n i was helped by a teacher with programming and the second one i did the programming myself since all was in the booklet.and i assembled the robot myself.but i wud like to ask for your help to explain me where will i get new robotics projects to make at home or at workshop like on which website and also which sort off programming i wud have to learn. i really like this field and i want to learn more and more about it. i wud appreciate if u help me with places where i can find projects :)

vikas
07-13-2012, 10:29 AM
What is your background and skill set ? Please explain before we can suggest something .

everlearner2611
07-13-2012, 11:07 PM
well for background. took vocational electronics for 11 th 12th and i was pretty comfortable with the theory as well as practical part. i know the uses of most electrnics components n transducers well. (although they have litte use in robotics :P ).apart from that as i mentioned in my post i have some small basics knowledge of robotics of which most i was guided by a teacher with programming. I m not apt at programming which is an important part.and as of skill set i would like u to inform me what that consists of since i m not able to comprehend u andi wud b able to answer u properly :)

everlearner2611
07-14-2012, 12:49 PM
also..i know about the atmega series micro controller and i did programming with bascom avr while the file saved in the microcontroller was saved in haxadecimal format. other than that i know how to use pony prog 2000. i have made a line follower,obstacle detector programs which were loaded on to the microcontroller one at a time. i used atmega 16 microcontroller

docel
07-15-2012, 08:23 AM
Good to know all this - looks like you have done much more than an most Engg. students. Congrats!

1. Google is your BEST ever teacher... but be warned, not everything you "see" on the net is easy or workable as is.

2. There is no point in following somebody's work blindly. One has to know what one is doing.

3. Most important aspect for anything practical is the basics of Science. Unfortunately , it is the most missed out aspect by everyone.

4. Robotics is an admixture of Common sense, general science, Physics, Electronics and Logic.
Most of this is available in books up to Grade 12.

5. you have already used some components - Motor , ICs , Micro-controller, Resistors & Sensors, capacitors etc.,
Just sit back and ask yourself if you know ANYTHING about these components. You will be shocked about what you will realize.

6. The best way to create anything is to KNOW everything possible. To know, you must refer , read & research.
The best available teacher is the Dictionary. You can understand anything in any subject in the World with a Dictionary.
Surprising to see that most students never use a dictionary at all nowadays.

7. If you don't know or understand Ohms Law, you wont be able to create much.
Burnt Motors and burnt Micro-controllers will be the immediate result.
Do you know that a sensor is just a Resistor ??
& a transistor is just a very complex Resistor ??
& that Electronics is simply re-writing E=IR in the most complicated mathematical expressions ??

8. Simple Machines may or may not be a part of your school text book nowadays...
What a pity!! Robot Arms are a very simple implementation of the very basic School level Physics- and many fail because they havent understood the 1st, II and 3rd order LEVER at school at all.

9. One must know what they hold in their hands... before they use it.
The best place to know is the Manufacturers Data Sheet. Most of it is non-sense, unless you want to design a new product.
But , it doesn't hurt or take much time to read it.
You will benefit a lot ( and save lots of time and money and tears) by knowing what the component is and can do and all that is in the components datasheet by the Manufacturer.

10. Remember this : Failure is just a job half done !

Good to see you on RI and Good Luck !!

everlearner2611
07-15-2012, 11:30 PM
well i dont know what to make of ur suggestion,whether its sarcasm or advice.But anyways thanks a lot. :) As of i would like to stick ot my post and i was expecting more of specific help.Apparently robotics being a complex field some integral parts like development boards and other things which although being based on ohm's law e=ir requires explanation for the specific purpose its going to be used.As i explained earlier i have a good command over electronics and i know pretty well about componets like sensors most of which are resistors of different materials and as of transistors i know they r complex networks of exremely minute heavy resistors.I am not asking to spoon feed me with robotics projects, i am asking for places i can find suitable info so that i can think of doing something myself and knowing to do with WHAT I HOLD IN MY HANDS !

pratik_1
07-17-2012, 02:21 PM
A 3D CNC is a good project. Always wanted to do that. Makerbot and others have some good ones....maybe you can better those...or make them cheaper with India sourced components. Make a DIY tutorial or something

everlearner2611
07-17-2012, 05:27 PM
thanx alot :) i will google it :)