PDA

View Full Version : Scope of studying M.S in robotics

alwarsamy
09-07-2012, 07:47 PM
Hi

Currently am working as a mechanical Design Engineer.I have planned to do M.S Robotics in U.S.
Tried googling and collected info about colleges and fees. Mostly the course is available only in the top private colleges.
So the fees is also high.

Now I am uncertain about how the career aspects will be after 2years in this field.
Is it good to take loan and pursue the course????

Kindly put forth your valuable thoughts.

Alwarsamy R

rao
09-07-2012, 09:18 PM
A specific course in robotics is nice but not necessary to enter the field. Another method is to look into a University that you want to get into (website), look at faculty and their research interests. Most professors head labs. Find out the professors who head robotics related research labs in the department of interest (e.g. Mechanical Engineering) and then, get in touch with them via email explaining about your research interests and your willingness to work for them. Most graduate courses will not offer scholarships unless you intend on staying for a PhD as well.

Robotics research at graduate level is broken down into a lot of different aspects, so find out what you would like to pursue. Your decision should be based on what you expect out of your degree.

As far as career aspects go, depending on what aspect of robotics you get into, your career prospects change. I.e. industrial robotics is much more in demand for jobs compared to neuro-muscular robotics. Defense robotics jobs requires citizenship if you are planning to look for jobs in the US after your degree. Biomedical robotics is a very niche field to get into but there are some great tele-operated biomedical robotics companies that pay good but require that you do MS from top notch universities with great research and publication background., i.e. DaVinci.

Finally, no matter where you do your MS from, without publications and thesis, your MS is not good enough for jobs that you want. Also, yes, the university name matters. Don't join substandard universities. Work hard on your GREs and get into a good university.

I hope you get what I am trying to convey. If you have other doubts , feel free to ask.

Rao

alwarsamy
09-08-2012, 04:49 PM
Thanks for your reply.
I am more specifically interested to go for Neuro Muscular robots. Is the scope specific to research in Universities or do companies also offer jobs?

Alwarsamy R

rao
09-09-2012, 12:35 AM
Neuro-muscular robotics is an emerging field. There are some start-ups here in the US based on it. But career-wise, it's not all there yet. The selections are tough and most startups cannot afford H1B sponsorships. Maybe in a couple of years, this field will improve as a career option but as of now, I would say it is more of a research field.

Rao