PDA

View Full Version : Line follower with 2 motors or 4 motors?

ironhide
09-17-2012, 07:28 PM
Ok I happen to be making a line follower now I am in a bit of quagmire.Question is simple

Should i use 2 motors or 4 motors.

Some details : entire circuit is on perforated PCB of size 10 cm x 15 cm ... sensors are on one of the 10 cm (6 of them) side. I wanted to fix motors directly to this PCB using motor mounts ( these motors are like toy motors with gear box.). so i could fix 2 on the other side of PCB, but to my utter foolishness I realized i don't have enough space on my circuit board to install castor in middle. but i still do have space on sides so that i can install 2 more motors if i wanted...

so my question is. will 4 motors affect controls of my bot drastically. How far can i keep castor from center of 2 motors to have a well balanced bot. (originally intended distance between the center of wheels and sensor was 12 cm).
now if i install 4 motors what will be that distance... will it be calculated from the middle of two motors ?
also Dia of wheel in 6 cm

vikas
09-17-2012, 07:54 PM
The question is what are you trying to achieve ? If building for fun you can use as many motors as you wish .

If planning to build a fast competition level robot use 2 and build a robot like F1 Car.

With 3+ Wheels you do not need a castor.

electronicsbasecom
09-18-2012, 04:39 AM
Try to copy this solution...it is very good and works fine...
http://www.arexx.com/downloads/asuro/asuro_manual_en.pdf
Less motors...less price...

ironhide
09-18-2012, 12:00 PM
well then re soldering it is.... i wanted to make a fast bot its just a hobby ... then wanted to improve it. say add encoders .. remember the line pattern... guess i was going all wrong... back to drawing board. :( ... thanks for the reply guys...