PDA

View Full Version : PCI Spec - where to find?

holycow
05-22-2005, 09:50 PM
I am not really sure, but isn't the PCI specification copyrighted? I mean its open, but its not free.... you have to buy it for about $200 or so from the PCI website - pcisig.com . I have spent a lot of time searching for it, so that I would be able to program a PCI Ethernet card. If you guys know of any site which gives the spec please post it here.

I am intrested in the programming interface of the PCI spec (rather than the electrical interface)

vidur
05-23-2005, 10:18 AM
No yaar

PCI spec is open & free...otherwise nobody would make products based on it..

PCI is not a technology...it only specifies how a computers buses are clubbed together in one connector.
including, data,address & ctrl busses etc,..etc

You can find the layout in the Intel Microprocessors Book by Barry B. Brey

holycow
05-23-2005, 03:25 PM
No yaar

PCI spec is open & free...otherwise nobody would make products based on it..

PCI is not a technology...it only specifies how a computers buses are clubbed together in one connector.
including, data,address & ctrl busses etc,..etc

You can find the layout in the Intel Microprocessors Book by Barry B. Brey

The PCI spec is sure open, but not free (Ok, this is free as in free beer). This site - http://www.pcisig.com/specifications/conventional/ gives them for download for members. As for the reason they are so widely adopted is that $200 is a big deal for us, but not for companies like Microsoft, Intel or IBM.

Coming back I do not have access to that book in my library.... so guess i will have to buy it. Thanks for the pointer man.

vidur
05-24-2005, 10:04 AM
Its better to buy a Rs 200 book than a $200 download!

:->