PDA

View Full Version : Electronics for Beginners

buntyindia
10-14-2012, 07:43 AM
Hey Guys,

I want to learn electronics, how can I start with same?
Any hobby classes in Delhi for electronics?

I am a software developer who did MCA

Alfredoo
10-17-2012, 05:00 PM
Well, it is really good that you are interested in learning electronics, BTW, before going in detail I would like to know about your basic qualification, if you don't mind ?

Alfredoo
10-18-2012, 05:45 PM
Friend, whenever you just logged in make post to me regarding to my question, so that I could have further assistance to you.

nitish007kumar005
10-28-2012, 07:09 PM
hey alfredo and my others friends
i know c++
and have good hold of concepts of electronics taught till 12 in cbse(sorry but that all i could not know how to have its practical experience)
i know nothing about microcontrollers am good at mechanics
i just do not how to start and from what to start in making robot any help??????

it would be great if i could see some one making it first in front of me bocz i think i can't learn how to make robots just by using theory

Alfredoo
10-29-2012, 12:17 PM
Well friend you are lacking so much and need to know more things before going in detail to develop robots. First of all I would like to suggest you to read the thread Top 10 Mistakes by beginners posted by some of friends of this site. It will help you a lot to proceed.

nitish007kumar005
10-29-2012, 01:36 PM
i have read it bro
what's next?????

ironhide
10-29-2012, 02:06 PM
Well friend you are lacking so much and need to know more things before going in detail to develop robots. First of all I would like to suggest you to read the thread Top 10 Mistakes by beginners posted by some of friends of this site. It will help you a lot to proceed.

Yep thats really nice thread and will help you to counter some of those mistakes....

Also study abut digital gates ... you know and, or, nand etc ... these are very powerful things ....

nitish007kumar005
10-29-2012, 02:21 PM
i know about and nand nor xor or gates now what to do with it friend???
(i studied them in my course)
but do not know how to use it practically was that what u meant or u wanted to say something else

just one more thing since i know nothing about microcontrollers should i read a book for them if yes then please suggest some
thanks in advance

nitish007kumar005
10-29-2012, 02:52 PM
let me be clear about all i know
poor knowledge of transistors
learnt basically about what output we get with what input using logic gates (and or nor xor nand)
mechanics(can do calculations about torque friction etc.)
knowledge of capacitors solenoids resistors(can find current etc. in simple circuits i do not mean that simple)
know c++ can write simple programms in it(do not know how large programs i will have to write for simple line follower)

Alfredoo
10-30-2012, 11:35 AM
If you have some sort of knowledge about the theory, you need a guide that should provide you all the procedures to develop a robot and it is only possible through sort duration course. So, just Google about any such institute in Delhi and join it.

nitish007kumar005
10-30-2012, 12:18 PM
do i also have to learn some other programming language or c++ will do??????

ironhide
10-30-2012, 06:43 PM
Ok so you know gates and how the work in theory also don't get in micro controllers yet ... so now consider this .... what do you want to do ? or more correctly ... what do you want your robot to do . To communicate with your bot you will need to know about different sensors... I recommend you go through this site : http://www.societyofrobots.com/sensors_color.shtml and http://www.societyofrobots.com/schematics_infraredemitdet.shtml ... Also how comfortable are you with motors (DC motors specifically). have you ever worked with one?
actually the whole site is treasure trove of knowledge... Study a bit. When i was in first year of my college i was too mesmerized by Micro-controllers but they are way advanced for basic robotics ... start with digital gates ... Also get a Bread board so digital gate IC some led few small resistor and play with them to see how theoretical logic gates can be real life gates also get in habit of reading Datasheet and understanding some of it....

ironhide
10-30-2012, 07:30 PM
Try this robot if you know some electronics and know about transistors or take a crash course on transistors on Wikipedia ... http://www.ermicro.com/blog/?p=1097

and i will say stick with bread board instead of soldering ... keep rest of the things same ... there are small bread boards available which are very easy to mount on small robot frames and are cheaper, plus they allow you to recycle all those electronics reducing the cost of your new found hobby...

nitish007kumar005
10-30-2012, 07:52 PM
thanks for all your help :-)
so i should not worry about microcontrollers now
by the way i want my first robot to be a simple line follower
how much might the cost be?????

ironhide
10-30-2012, 08:10 PM
If you are not going for Micro controller (and i will say don't go)then not much... here is basic price list :
Soldering kit : around 250 rs . (you will get a good 25 W Iron and solder wire (get a 50g roll )) also get Soldering Flux and De soldering copper strip.
all basic electronics cost some where around 2rs to 8 rs per piece . with exception of Resistors and capacitors (these are cheap) and Transistors are bit more costly.
Breadboard for 60 Rs ...
2 small motors to start with around 200 bucks and wheels for 50... you know first bot will net you around 500 + Rs if you are starting from scratch and not getting in micro controllers..

ironhide
10-30-2012, 08:20 PM
Also a crash course on Transistors active region operation : http://www.wisc-online.com/Objects/ViewObject.aspx?ID=SSE3603

nitish007kumar005
10-30-2012, 09:13 PM
thanks friend with ur guidance
robot building will be easy and enjoyable too i mean there would be lesser mistakes hence lessewr frustation thanxxx again for providing me the list of goods i will have to buy i was really in need of such list

nitish007kumar005
10-30-2012, 09:24 PM
one more thing what did u mean by basic electronics i thought resistors capacitors and transisitors were basic electronics
and were u talking about servo motors or dc (sorry if i used wrong names)

Alfredoo
10-31-2012, 11:00 AM
I am too relaxed to see that your requirement is almost fulfilled. BTW, you are absolutely right that the resistors, capacitors and transistors are no doubt basis electronics, but servo motors and Dc are also a kind of basic electronics. So, since when you are going to take start up?

ironhide
10-31-2012, 11:59 AM
one more thing what did u mean by basic electronics i thought resistors capacitors and transisitors were basic electronics
and were u talking about servo motors or dc (sorry if i used wrong names)

Actually i was categorizing all basic electronics according to price.
see this is current market trend :
Resistors : 20 p per piece ... it will be better If you can get a resistor set (its like 5 resistors of each value in a box, costs somewhere around 30 - 40 rs).
capacitor : 50 P to 2 rs etc etc as they grow bigger there price increases (here also you can get a set but not necessary for basics).
transistors : these are bit costly ranging from 5-6 rs for basic to 30 - 40 rs for Power transistors.
sensors like LDR may net you 5 -6 rs .... that is what i meant by basic electronics.

Also I kind of keep Motors and other actuators in Electrical basket.. :)
Do one thing if you are okay with the sample project then get these equipment... show us your progress step by step... we will help you if you do any mistake..

I also forgot to mention, get a Multimeter (a basic digital one will suffice for now, but if you are serious you can get the bigger ones too they are more accurate and have more range and functions )..

nitish007kumar005
10-31-2012, 06:25 PM
thanks sir
i might start in next 2 to 3 months as i have exams coming this motnh and also i have to collect the money
sir how can i post the pics of my robot if i have to clear some doubts regarding it

Alfredoo
11-01-2012, 11:06 AM
Wish you all the best for your exam and you could post the pics through the insert image icon as visible in the tool box of the post reply box.

Jegannathan
01-24-2013, 12:15 AM
Hey the best microcontroller suitable for beginners is Arduino. Just try learning it from their site directly. Since you already know c++ you must find it really easy!!! Dont waste your money on courses!!!

nitish007kumar005
01-24-2013, 09:04 AM
It would be very line my friends he you could tell me what equipments i need to program arduino in as much detail as possible

thanx in advance

nitish007kumar005
01-24-2013, 09:08 AM
One more thing following your advice my first robot will not have micro controller
but i would like to use that for my second one

ironhide
01-24-2013, 03:51 PM
Yes you can start with Arduino you don't require much for that . You can get Arduino online or you can look at your local electronics shop who cater to college students too. They should have an Arduino clone might be named Freeduino.. these are all right quality not as high quality as arduino.
Now as for what equipments you will need to buy ... :
1. a 12 v DC adapter preferably giving 1 Amps or more current (this is to run arduino board).
2. Arduino itself.
3. PC or laptop.
4. A USB cable.
5. 4 meters of single strand wire preferably different colors.
6. A Breadboard.
7. Led and resistors
that is it now you can go to arduino site download there compiler and start coding and burning they have huge libraries of examples so you will never run into an issue anybody has not encountered before.

nitish007kumar005
01-25-2013, 07:40 AM
thanx for the reply

nitish007kumar005
01-25-2013, 02:17 PM
i was on their site(arduino)
they had many programming boards listed like arduino nano, arduino diecimila, arduino uno , arduino diecimila
i want to know what difference it would make if i choose one of these over other three.
most probably i would shop for all the stuff next week and i have compiled a list of things i will purchase.
it would be very kind of you if you review my list and tell me if something is missing or if i need more or less amount of something.

nitish007kumar005
01-25-2013, 03:02 PM
here is the list of all items i think i need(for a simple line follower without microcontroller)
1.ni-mh 9V rechargable batteries 4pieces with 250mAh capacity. battery charger for these batteries.
2.cadmium sulphide photo resistive sensors. 10 pieces each in encapsulated and exposed category.
3.lego wheels semi-pneumatic, solid tires(flat,balloon type) with different diameters and widths. i will need them in many of my projects so i will willing to buy them in bulk to reduce cost :D
4.variable speed rotary tool with its accessories.
5.resistane set with resistances between 1ohm to 1 million ohm. 2 resistance sets(1/2 watt , carbon film).
6.capacitor set with capacitance between 2opf to 100microfarad.
7.#4-40 round slotted machine screws.
8.alligator chips two sets of five colors.
9.mixed bulk bag for LEDs of different colors and sizes with around 100LEDs.
10. 840 tie-point solderless bread board with three binding ports. 2 pieces.
11.#22 awg copper hook-up wire 25 feet and three different colors.
12. jumper wies with length between 3 to 8 inches. 8 pieces itwo each in four diferent colors.
13. 2 solid battery snap connectors.
14. breadboard compatible multi turn potentiometer with metallic turning dial. with range till 20 kilo ohms 20 pieces.
15. voltage comparator chips 6pieces.
16. mounting putty 100 grams.
17. 4 spur gear head motors, 2 escap motors, 4 DC brush motors , servo motors.
18. 10 touch sensors.
19. metal encased infra-red photo detector 4 pieces.
20. Metric screw case with screw of different types. washers.
21. Aluminium oxide grinding stone for tidy holes.
22. DPDT centre off toggle switches 4 pieces.
23. 8 pin DIP IC sockets 10 pieces dual wipe.
24. Molex kk connector 4 pieces.
25. A digital multimeter with followimg features:
DC voltage range (0.2V to 48V)
DC current range (0.0002A to 2A)
diode testor
Autoranging, auto poweroff, test leads.
26. hook probes 4 pieces.
27. PPTC (self resetting circuit protection devices).
28. soldering kit.
29. Arduino programming kit.( please tell me if i need to be more specific about last two). :o
I compiled this list after reading some books and i am not sure how some of the listed devices work. :(
I must say sorry for that as i might have used some wrong names.

ironhide
01-26-2013, 03:39 AM
Hi
Your list will easily net you +4000 Rs. If you have money you can go for it.
If you are like me (broke most part of month), then it will be better to buy only and only components you need. Again it depends on local availability of components.
In my case I can get anything from near by electronics vendor so I only get what I want from him, and save some money.
If you too want to save money all you require for simple line follower will be :

1. Soldering Iron
2. Lead (comes as a 40 g roll) and Flux(don't forget flux).
3. 2 Geared DC motors preferably 500 rpm.
4. Perforated PCB board.
5. Batteries (now this is tricky part 12 v battery lead acid one is cheapest but is heavy weighs over 1 kg which complicates bot design. I will recommend you to get a battery like this http://www.nex-robotics.com/products/batteries-and-chargers/lithium-polymer-batteries/lithium-polymer-3-cell-11-1v-1200mah-20c-discharge-battery.html you can take more powerful one too if you want along with charger these are light and compact simplifying your bot design.. )
6. Electronics required by your bot :
in this case i will refer to project (bot) i am making and buy each components +1 so that in case some get damaged i will have replacement.
but all this is circumstantial as in my case electronics shop is near by. If its not such case in your case then you can buy some stock components in bulk like resistors caps and led.

also a bread board is necessary to test you circuit before you solder it on PCB.
also you can build online catalog on nex robotics or probots to compare and get an idea of price range you will be reaching... hope this will help. Feel free to ask anything before buying. Also it will be great if you can give me reasoning as to why are you buying each of those components, this will help me understand what you want to do ...

nitish007kumar005
01-27-2013, 03:45 AM
My first robot would be a line follower.
second one will avoid ostacles.
Third one would probably take my glass, cup etc. and put it at a predefined place.
I read society of robot tutorial and i came to know that avoiding obstacles can be done using IR ranger. so i needed one.
It would be useful in both my second and third robot i need touch sensors also for the same purpose.
Sorry i do not think i gave answer to what you asked. ;)

ironhide
01-28-2013, 01:12 PM
Hi Nitish
Just one simple question. Do you have electronics shop nearby? Also what is your budget. And yes names for many of the things you mentioned might change, but meaning remains same.. I can guide you on one robot at a time. And I will ask you to make one robot and try to refine it till its tea. Then move to other one..
It might be beneficial to get things in bulk but that is only when you know what you exactly need. As I said go to Probots and Nex site (don't buy form them) just look around, they have good catalog of common available components and names match all over India also prices too (i find locally things are marginally cheaper).
Also doing a lot of research is always a good idea before starting your bot...

nitish007kumar005
01-29-2013, 09:52 AM
I think i compiled my above list by being as specific as possible
i visited arduino site they had many types of (programming boards) i think like arduino uno, arduino nano etc. I want to ask which ones should i buy

ironhide
01-29-2013, 12:42 PM
Get Arduino Uno.. Its very good and priced nicely...

ironhide
01-29-2013, 12:45 PM
But please finish your first bot before, There is lot of difference between practical and theory, you will see that many times result is not what you expect and then you start to take into account all inherent errors and deviations .. this is called experience ...

nitish007kumar005
01-29-2013, 01:43 PM
Thank you very much bro
be sure i will make my first robot without any microcontroller and write camou my progress on this forum adding pics of my bot

thank you again. by the way i read three books before compiling my parts list books were robot builder bonanza, robotics for beginners, robot cookbook

nitish007kumar005
01-31-2013, 09:40 AM
I visited the sites you mentioned i have one confusion and sorry if that sounds stupid.
Are avr and arduino different? :-D

Devta
03-30-2013, 09:47 PM
I visited the sites you mentioned i have one confusion and sorry if that sounds stupid.
Are avr and arduino different? :-D

Arduino is a simplified avr implementation.

The arduino does need a programmer, it has a standard design(unlike avr) and it is easy to find shields (extensions) for an arduino.

rohitbd
04-03-2013, 09:37 PM
To add, Arduino comes with its own version of C called Arduino C (the IDE can be downloaded from arduino.cc), and also has support to compile and burn the program via USB.

abhid21
05-07-2013, 11:46 AM
Hi !
My name is abhishek , i am Btech in mechanical engg. and new to robotics . I am trying to build a robot like gripper+line follower .
Can anyone help me for where to start and gain knowledge . I know about -
1.Mechanics
2.basic electronics
3.bit of robotics
please help me !

ravi.tez
05-08-2013, 02:33 PM
Gone are those days when people join institutes and spend money for learning these stuffs. The theory taught at colleges is good enough. You have the web and this is a DIY generation. Use the best of what the web and online stores have for offer.

abhid21
05-08-2013, 08:09 PM
yes i know friend , but i dont know how to begin . The first step is always crucial and i know many of you here are good in this stuff , i just need some help regarding the electronics field . Any help will be thankfull .

ravi.tez
05-08-2013, 08:32 PM
http://www.arduinobook.com/

buntyindia
06-22-2013, 12:18 AM
Guys I started thus thread a long time Back and good to see some nice conversations on this topics still I am in clear how can I start learning basic electronics. Do we have any hobby classes in north Delhi or any good online resources??

anir
02-05-2014, 08:59 PM
Get Arduino and Arduino compatible boards at best price on www.frugal-labs.com with good tutorials and a comprehensive Arduino starter kit.
http://www.frugal-labs.com/store/en/91-arduino-uno-r3.html
http://www.frugal-labs.com/store/en/84-arduino-leonardo.html
http://www.frugal-labs.com/store/en/85-arduino-nano.html
http://www.frugal-labs.com/store/en/82-fruduino-starter-kit.html
http://www.frugal-labs.com/store/en/17-fruduino-with-atmega-8.html