PDA

View Full Version : Robotics course

lekhaemerald
04-02-2013, 05:50 PM
Hey all!
I am doing my 3rd year in engginerring (eee) . I am interested in robotics and I would like to do more projects in this field. Though i am passionate about robotics, I have just started learning about them and I have come till making a line follower robot. I would like to apply for Canrgeie Mellon University by this fall. And that's a tough call as the admissions are competitve. I have to improve my profile by the next 5 months. I would like to do a robotics course and involve myself in good projects. Please help me!! I am confused..

vikas
04-02-2013, 09:13 PM
Realistically do not waste time or money with robotics courses . Do you really think they will instill something in 3- 5 days that will get you through CMU. In 5 months not much gonna happen, it takes time to do something worth while , 2 ways to get in for now -

1. Daddy helps you pay you through CMU .. easy way
2. You get very very good GRE score .. hard way

Also on side do something worthwhile , contribute in a open source project which is actually useful. Work with real people on real problems.

lekhaemerald
04-02-2013, 09:52 PM
Realistically do not waste time or money with robotics courses . Do you really think they will instill something in 3- 5 days that will get you through CMU. In 5 months not much gonna happen, it takes time to do something worth while , 2 ways to get in for now -

1. Daddy helps you pay you through CMU .. easy way
2. You get very very good GRE score .. hard way

Also on side do something worthwhile , contribute in a open source project which is actually useful. Work with real people on real problems.

Hey vikas!! GRE score is not the only thing they look out for!! Yeah..I know that robotic courses wont help much..but how else will i be able to learn about them..and without the basics, i cant work with real people and real projects. Thanks for your reply! :)

lolman_returns
04-11-2013, 10:50 PM
I completely agree with Vikas on the part that any robotics course offered will not add any value to your application to CMU. Having said that, I also agree with the fact that you want to get a head start. Somethings that I would like you to get a heads up on is that CMU-RI is a highly CS based course (as it was originally a subsection of CS). When you deal with a CS oriented course, you want to gain skills more towards the software aspect as most Ri projects are a lot less design and a lot more software oriented.
You might want to learn about 32 bit microcontrollers (ARM based) though most higher level projects would rather use netbooks or mini-pcs with linux (Real time patched) for processing in tandem with DSP or FPGA boards for high speed data acquisition.
Next you have to update yourself how most robotics teams are coding, e.g. learn about ROS, Microsoft Robotics Studio, OpenRTM-aist etc. (When I say learn, I don't mean expert level, just know what they are).

Find courses that will introduce you to these concepts.

Finally, look through the website of Ri, look through all labs, find the projects you are interested in. Think of how you can add value to those labs and projects. This will help you prepare your application. Because more than applying to the school, you want to get in touch with the professors running the labs and convince them to get a research position in the labs. This greatly improves your chances of being accepted (Though GRE scores are most definitely important) as well as reduces the financial burden of attending a super expensive private school.

Last word of advice, most research positions (assistantships) require you to be in a MS+PhD course as the professors want to make sure you are in for the long haul and not for a quick 1.5 year course. So make up your mind on what you really want to do with your degree and how far you want to pursue this.