PDA

View Full Version : Timing belts and stepper motor combo

_hsr
08-08-2013, 11:08 AM
Hi there folks, I have this project which requires a load of ~0.4kg should be pulled up in precise but varying lengths. The weight is to be suspended without other supports. What I thought of going for is a combination of a medium torque Stepper motor and a long timing belt with one pulley on the motor.

I am not that familiar with the mechanical side of robotics so I would really appreciate your inputs in this subject. Are there any other alternatives, if so please reply. If my assumptions are correct, where can I buy decent quality timing belts and pulleys in India? I would require it to be at least a length of 2mtrs. Since it should be really precise on the distance lifted, should I use some kind of distance measuring feedback (optical sensor) or just rely on the steps made by the motor?

samvrit
12-06-2013, 06:29 PM
You can use a Lead Screw and Guide Rail assembly. Google it to get details about the assembly. It will be very precise. You can try getting the parts in a local hardware store.

DalenWirth
02-05-2014, 12:23 PM
You can join both the parts with some sort of joint and then continue. You wouldn't have to bother about the belt as well.