PDA

View Full Version : image processing basics!!!!!

dhruvkaran
06-07-2005, 05:49 PM
hi ppl,
i am a total newbie to robotics
i need help with processing pixels from a webcam, and using c or assembly(for uC) for processing and decision making
please help me regarding this
i think i can do the control part once someone teaches me the image processing and analysis part
also some concrete examples instead of abstract theory would be useful
thnx for ur time
dhruv

sumandeep1984
06-09-2005, 12:19 PM
Check out "Digital Image Processing by Gonzalez and Woods" ... it's good ... also try download Open CV by Intel it's free...

3d
06-15-2005, 03:10 AM
i am in 2nd year ee delhi college of engg. and have been a keen robotics person.......i got hold of a copy of gonzalez and woods from the lib.... but this book deals basically with image processing .....i am currently looking to design an object recognition system using for my hexapod...........will a book on machine vision help me better.....is it required to go through dip before laying hands on machine vision.......

06-15-2005, 05:33 AM
will a book on machine vision help me better.....is it required to go through dip before laying hands on machine vision.......

Hey,

I'm a Ph. D. student in computer engineering at the University of Florida. I work on automated target recognition systems for the military. You will definately want a machine vision book, but to understand it you will need a good background in image processing and I think Gonzalez and Woods is the DIP book of choice.

Good luck,

John

06-15-2005, 05:36 AM
i think i can do the control part once someone teaches me the image processing and analysis part also some concrete examples instead of abstract theory would be useful
thnx for ur time dhruv

Hiya,

It's hard to give concrete examples without knowing what types of objects you are trying to recognize and with what types of sensors. Object detection contains a very difficult set of problems. What is your background? What do you want to accomplish?

John

dhruvkaran
06-16-2005, 10:08 AM
hi john,
i want to learn how to control a robot based on an incline trying to keep a ping pong ball on the plane by hitting it back and forth beyond a line.
this has to be done by processing the pixels obtained wrt the top view from a webcam
thanks,
dhruv
P.S.: John, it would be helpful if you could give us your mail id or robotics india username(for p m's)

3d
06-16-2005, 11:45 AM
its wonderful to have someone like u on our pages.
for such object recognition techniques using a ccd camera mounted on our hexapod ( we have an itx motherboard which we are planning to use as the on robot processing system)....will the processing power of this system be enough and fast enough to cater to real time changing inputs from the ccd??? or do we have to basically return the frames to a laptop using a wireless receiver and then process it then and there ......

ps....can u recommend a good machine vision book??

thanks john.

sumandeep1984
06-16-2005, 05:02 PM
@ 3d can you explain to me how are you stating that image processing different from machine vision ... as far as I knew that image processing is a more general superset of machine vision along with compression and other stuff under it's umbrella.

So if you don't know or want to know the basics of Image Procesing how r u gonna jump to detailed machine vision ???

@ dhruvkaran "P.S.: John, it would be helpful if you could give us your mail id or robotics india username(for p m's)" I think it would be better if info is posted on the forum rather that through PM's .... i guess you would agree, would you not ? ... anyways your problem is a very trivial problem of object detection .... try reading on edge detection & filtering .... this should do ... still better go through the latest edition of Gonzalez once and for all .... will help u a lot !

cheers !

Pulkit_gaur
06-16-2005, 08:49 PM
Well ,

For solving the aforementioned problem just try to divide the image screen into Heirarchial squares starting from 4x4 to lowest possible ( i.e. dimensions of the ball ) then count the checksum of each image box.

Leave aside all the boxes with minimal changes ( threshold which can be dynamic ) and concentrate on the active ones.. after enumerating them do a color based masking operation and u get the balls current co -ordinates.

This system requires much less ( least will be with hexagon blocks .. but tough to do !) efforts from harware and software resources.

-
Pulkit

pratik123
06-16-2005, 10:11 PM
hey thanks for the help on the problem...still since my conceps re:colour based maskin and other things are not tht gr8(being a newbie) i'll go through gonzalez and woods and get back to u
Thanks still

3d
06-17-2005, 03:08 PM
@sumandeep i got ur point.... theres no escaping gonzalez and woods ... if thats what u are saying.....but the fact remains people that i cant seem to find anyone who has the expertise to teach me the book....or atleast guide me through it...not in our faculty.....so what do u say ....can i do it alone??? i have started with the first 2 chapters but it sure is an uphill task. if any ideas ..tell me and pray for me.