PDA

View Full Version : which motor inside??

rvbugged
08-02-2004, 05:56 PM
Hi,

I just happened to come across a motor which I found inside a walkman...how can I find which motor is it???

rvbugged.

vikas
08-02-2004, 08:36 PM
Well 99% of times its a simple DC motor :) .
To use it in a robot ull have to build a hbridge or by a motor bridge driver .

pranav baliga
09-14-2004, 04:19 PM
Hi,

I just happened to come across a motor which I found inside a walkman...how can I find which motor is it???

rvbugged.
hii
i am pranav .i am in search of a dc toy (small sized) motor having power rating v. high (20-50W). where can i get it?? i am in gujarat

ice
09-14-2004, 08:34 PM
get hold of a normal toy with a remote control [wired]
They normally cost around 150-200 rs.They got nice wheels too sometimes.
ice
//gerry

Pulkit_gaur
09-14-2004, 10:02 PM
Well if you want that much power u won't get that in a toy , untill its sumo-wrestlres toy.
I think u should go for a geared DC motor or u can go for a photocopy machine DC motor ( biggest of them , as there are plenty of them inside)they are of 20 - 40 W rating.
Hope this solves your proble.

Thanks and Regards
-
Pulkit

ice
09-15-2004, 08:10 AM
The reason i mentioned toy vehicles is that they are the cheapest source for gear trains and DC motors.True they do provide less power.

u get geared motors separately in different RPM's [2,10,30,60 etcRPM]
But each of them cost around 175 to 250 Rs,at least in B'bay.

Wiper motors have high ratings too..their heavily geared.
Photocopy motors [like Pulkit said] have hell lot of geared motors in them.

bye,
ice
//gerry

subot_robot
11-12-2004, 12:47 AM
Hi friends,
there are 2 types of dc micro motors used in tape recorders, cw motor and ccw motor. what is the difference between them? what does cw and ccw stand for?

subot

Pulkit_gaur
11-12-2004, 08:17 AM
Hi,

CW - clock wise
CCW - counter clock wise

-
Pulkit

subot_robot
11-12-2004, 10:30 PM
Hi Pulkit,
thanx for the info. today i found that cw motor rotates at half of normal speed when rotating in counter clockwise direction, and the ccw motor turns at half of normal speed when rotating in clockwise direction. in another words half of the applied voltage is fed to the brush and hence the coil of the motor when rotating in reverse direction. this type of configuration is not suitable for robot as the motor has to turn in same speed for both directions. So i opened the motor and removed the pcb inside it and connected the power supply wire directly to the brush of the motor.
i think this is a serious flaw of dc tape recorder motor for the application of robot. may be some one should put an article here regarding this as lots of guys are using tape recorder motor. i myself struggled a bit before finding out the actual problem. suggestions are welcome.

--subot_robot

ice
11-13-2004, 12:16 AM
Guess ur right..
i normally use mamuchi motors for my projects ...just take the top cap off ,rip the PCB and connect the supply directly to the brush Leads...it's kewl...nothing goes wrong...just don't give it too much voltage..if it's rated at 12V...feed it arnd tht much.

ice

sumandeep1984
11-13-2004, 06:20 AM
I have been using DC tape motors for ages, and I think removing the circuit works out for everyone...but newbies sometimes damage the brushes (I did :D ) other than that there's absolutely no problem. There are BiDirectional DC tape motors (with / without circuit) available in the market..u just got to search for them.

One more advice, the CW motor if run CCW (or vice versa) will not only run at half speed with the circuit, but eventually the circuit will get burnt out. So, even if u can go on with half speed, don't do it. You may just end up with a malfunction at the last moment.

12-05-2004, 02:52 AM
what is the pcb in the motor for?

shelby
12-07-2004, 05:55 AM
ya ..... seriously ..... what is the use of that PCB?????
has no one ever tried to find out ................

what about PCBs attached to VCR-VCP head driving motors ..............

why arnt there ne PCBs on the ejection system motor??

no one knows???

Rajesh L G
12-07-2004, 05:58 PM
The PCB contains a speed governor. Usually they also have trim pot to fine tune the speed.

And most VCR head motors are brushless motors. There are two types of BL motors, sensored and sensorless. For sensored ones, the PCB will have hall sensors mounted on it. The feedback from hall sensors is used to determine the commutation by the controller. The sensorless ones use back EMF to determine rotor position, so no need for hall sensors.

sumandeep1984
12-08-2004, 01:58 AM
The PCB within the DC Tape motor is to control the speed accurately. The motor must run at 2400rpm, otherwise the tape would run at abnormal speed.

The PCB controls the current through the armature.....just look at any Basic Electrical Technology book....to get the info how to control DC motors.