PDA

View Full Version : Wheels, gears, chasis!!!

08-05-2004, 05:29 PM
Guys; :?:
How to make the chasis?The wheels I am finding it difficult to find.Are these readymade available in stores.Can anyone tell me if there are any hobby stores in Chennai that sells some parts in these robot stuff.
robosapien84

ice
08-05-2004, 06:03 PM
try aluminium ,Mecanno.
I use both
go here
http://www.geocities.com/gear996
and go to the "My robots " Tab,u'll get an idea.

The best thing is to get a good car and rip it apart.Take of it's wheels and use it's parts.
Generates creativity and curiosty 8O
if u know what i mean.

-ice
//gerry

rao
08-05-2004, 06:04 PM
My method..

For the wheels.. and chassis

I prefer buyin some RC toy.. RIp it off...

for chassis ty lookin for meccano... nice stuff...

Rao

08-06-2004, 05:45 PM
What is a mecanno :?: .How many rupees does it cost??????????

shiraztk
08-10-2004, 03:20 PM
Hi

For making the chasis and other parts I use Acryllic Sheets.
Draw the design and give it to the people who make number plates etc. They will cut the parts in acryllic sheets.
Acryllic sheets are available in various thinkness, colors, size.
It can be easily drilled, deformed with heat, and pretty strong too.
They are the cheapest materials I ever found. :D
we can use feviquick for ararite for sticking the parts together or they can be even screwed together.
Wheels can be make with nylon rods, if you want custom design etc. Machining can be costly :(

Enjoy
Shiraz

fahad
11-29-2004, 11:29 PM
it is better a model ur desigen first and then go for fabrication and think of the materials with relative strength and weight, never compromise in design or u will land in shit
fabricate ur own special parts,there is no joy compared to see ur creations work! :D

krishnabhargav
11-30-2004, 12:16 AM
well for the wheels you can use the RUBBER CORKS ! you do get small ones in the furniture shop.YOu also get the brown colored Door Stoppers.YOu can cut them into slices tooo.Another way to obtain wheels is to order from abroad(expensive deal).If u want Wheels of much bigger size then yyou can paste three CDs with a glue and place a RUBBER around the circumference.YOu can use the Motor Horns to fill the axil or motors.
Chasis/BOdy they prefer the aluminium sheets you get in the metal workshops,cos they are light.And if u are miser like me use Junk CDS.They are light and u can drill holes easily too.
For gears i m not sure but i think u get them in all spares shops.I found a few in tape recorder spare shops(but did not buy them yet).For Axil you can use the aluminium ROds.Or for home side recipe use the CLoth Hangers you usually have in your almairah ;)
If anyone have better ideas than this ones do post them here.Most of the above are the result of googling the net and few are googling friends ;)
Bhargav
PS: The above ones arent tried yet.My vacation starts from today.That was what i planned to make my first bot with.

mandar
11-30-2004, 06:59 PM
for wheels.. u can go to a cylce shop and buy wheels of those kiddie cylces...

they are costly though.. 50 bucks each.. maybe he was milking us coz he knew a competiton was nearby... seems many ppl came to him..
the wheels are amazing big (as big as a cd) and thick rubber coating.. and the hole is perfect for a normal geared motor available..

im using aluminium sheets for body easy to work with...

mandar

subot_robot
12-01-2004, 12:41 AM
Hi mandar,

and the hole is perfect for a normal geared motor available..
can u please tell which geared motor u r referring to. please give info more about it like where can we get it, speed torque price, etc. i am looking for good geared dc motor.
thank u in advance

subot_robot

mandar
12-06-2004, 10:35 PM
we get geared motors here in pune... i dont remember the shop name i guess technik innovations.. or something.. not sure.. but pretty well known in pune..

what he does is that there is his standard motor or abt 5000 rpm and 50 gm torque... he has these gearboxes which reduce speed to a quarter.. so dependeing on ur requirement.. he will attach the gears and give to u. (the best part is once u buy a high torque motor u can always remove some gears to get a faster motor)

they are 12 or 6 volt motors... ( the max torque i've heard is 2kg at 60 rpm approx)
he also has some other motors - lunar motors which put the above to shame.. the basic motor is something like 50 gm torque at 17,000 rpm!

but it draws a lot of current and needs high voltage.. the thing is with normal dc adapters like 6 volt/ 1 am,p cant be used... u need something like 7- 8 amp ( thats what i was told)

the cost of basic motor is 300 bucks..(after 4 speed reductions ie at 60 rpm, 2kg torque)

the lunar motor is costly.. costs 450 bucks..(but dont remember with or without the gears... )

i guess that gives a decent picture... abt the shop.. ask someone from pune.. all i can remember now that tuffs plasts is next it (in case that helps someone else trying to recall :) )

mandar

12-07-2004, 05:50 PM
Are there people in chennai who can attach gear boxes just like the one mandar suggested

subot_robot
12-07-2004, 10:41 PM
Hi mandar,
thanx for the info. Can u plz tell me what do "technik innovations.. or something.." deal with. I mean what type of shop it is and what kind of products do they sell? I am asking this because i will know in which kind of shop i can try here in Mysore. 12v motor with 2kg torque, 60rpm is too good for me. i badly want one.
can anybody tell me where i can get geared motors in bangalore or mysore.

subot_robot

mandar
12-07-2004, 11:16 PM
i dunno much .. been ther just once.. but its kinda like a workshop....

the fun part was that when we went there . he was making the gear boxes.. (die pressure casting .. if u may).. i think he deals with plastic gears etc.. and maybe plastic items.. not sure..

and all around that area there are workshops with helluva lot of CNC's, lathes and what-not .. so u have a general picture..

hope that helps..

mandar

CodeWarrior
01-15-2005, 12:53 PM
Hello,
I am intrested in making robot. I am from New Bombay. Lets meet some where in Bombay.

Bye

sumandeep1984
01-17-2005, 10:18 PM
Real Good Info Mandar !!!!

alvarorahul
03-23-2005, 11:39 PM
as ice has said the best thing to do is to get a toy car, rip it off and use the gearbox along with the wheels

chinese toy cars come quite cheap (less than rs.100 )

i myself used cars which cost rs.50 each for a particular project

they r good enough and their gear systems r also cool

pkshima
05-05-2005, 11:16 AM
I wish to use acrylic sheets for my chassis.

Can anyone give me an idea of how much it costls like ?
I intend to use at least 5mm thick sheets.