PDA

View Full Version : SUGGESTIONS???

robosmart
08-29-2005, 06:43 PM
hi
I am subo from NIT Durgapur. I am persuing a project on demining robot(AUTONOMOUS AND WHEELED). The tracking and position control are of vital importance in our project. We plan to use dc motors (two wheel drive).Can somebody tell me if me what should i incorporate into my model so that it can go around obstacleswithout losing POSITION AND TRACKING CONTROL.
THANK YOU

vidur
08-30-2005, 03:11 AM
Hi

This project has the potential of being very exotic & labor intensive.

The thing is how ambitious you can be & how well is the project funded?
Well what i get from you is that you want the robot to know where it is & how it is oriented.

NAVIGATION TIPS

Atleast the orientation is easy....some companies make magnetic sensors & you can have basic North-south info. However if you want to do it big time....you may want to hardwire a GPS system into it...Its better not to use an embedded system then...It'll be much easier to use a robot controlled by a PC mounted on it. & also lesser things to learn & easier to diagnose
Then you can also include maps of the terrain the robot is to go.
You may write a code to command the robot to move in specific patterns.

Another possible strategy is to use a pulsed radio network ..You can implement your own mini GPS using 3 synchronised beacons on the field. Detect this signal, triangulate & calculate where the robot is on the field

Or use the same old underground buried metal cable/strip the robot uses to sense its path

Other sensors for obstacles could be IR sensors, SONARs ( very popular & easy to use)

If you need any more specific hlp...lemme know

vidur

robosmart
09-02-2005, 04:16 PM
[Then you can also include maps of the terrain the robot is to go.
You may write a code to command the robot to move in specific patterns.]
Where you talking about digital maps? I am only a beginner. so could you be a bit more specific or give me links where i can find the relevant material.
[Another possible strategy is to use a pulsed radio network ..You can implement your own mini GPS using 3 synchronised beacons on the field. Detect this signal, triangulate & calculate where the robot is on the field]
It seems a very interesting concept. Can you suggest some devices(available in India) to implement the idea. Will IR sensors do?
Anyway thanks for your advice previous time! :)
looking towards hearing from you.
bye!!!

ice
09-02-2005, 05:25 PM
IR needs line of light,so you may encounter some problems there..

Triangulation ,which vidur mentioned ,is normally done with sound or radio signals..position is determined by measuring signal strength.

Try searching for sound (ultrasonic) triangulation...

addy
12-16-2005, 09:58 PM
hi,
gud to see someone from dgp in the forum.....

first decide wat sensors u r employing for incorporating obstacle avoiding in ur robot.
that forms a very basic issue.
i think using a sonar module would be gud.
u can do grid mapping of the surrounding using that and then u use the 'beacon arrangement as suggested by vidur.....