PDA

View Full Version : which microcontroller to useeeee

pallakiran
08-31-2005, 10:19 AM
hi all.... i am a newbie to robotics and we friends are making a robot(':D')
Very Happy.... i want to know which microcontroller to use(':(')
Sad for purposes like obstacle avoidance, line following, mine detection and also digging the mine using some mechanism( we dint decide it yet('8O')
Shocked).......lot of things na.......so...i want to know which one is best suited for my design........all of u robo studs and etc(':wink:')
Wink...plz help me in choosing one...will be thankfuyl to you guys... one more thing i live in chennai...it shld be available and also cost effective(':P')
Razz....i mean 100/- to max 500/-..........waiting for all ur replys..........byeeeeeeeeeeeee

yogi
08-31-2005, 06:30 PM
The best one for starting is a line follower robot

U can do it without microcontroller

see mine
http://www.geocities.com/njbibin/robotics/linefollower.html

If you want a microcontroller

the cheap one abt Rs.50 (8051) but programmer cost is high, so use AVR microcontroller better one atmega8 and AVRDUDE programmer. Secondly if u want to pgm in C use WinAVR , assembly Avrstudio4.0

Bibin John
www.bibinjohn.tk

robosapien
08-31-2005, 08:10 PM
Hi;

U can choose between pic,atmel 8051,atmel avr series.

Well I think its best for you to start off with atmel 8051
try at89c2051 or at89c51/52
at89c51 is around 75Rs
at89c2051 is around 40Rs
Since you are are a beginner you are bound to fry some chips :D.So keep it cheap at first then move on to pic etc. The programmers can easily be made.

pallakiran
09-02-2005, 12:40 AM
thank u very much guys for ur good reply's .....i think that would be good to begin with.... if i have any problem,i will get in touch with u.....byee

subot_robot
09-02-2005, 10:22 AM
Hi,
U can also consider pic 16x series microcontroller. They have only 35 instructions set and u can learn it pretty fast compared to other microcontrollers and they are all available within Rs.300.

subot_robot

yogi
09-02-2005, 04:51 PM
best to start with AVR
cost of atmega8 is around Rs.200

cost of programmer-Rs.40
AVRDUDE software+BSD programmer

Simulators
assembly-Avrstudio4.0
c-WinAVR

U can get too many free softwares

lalnose
09-03-2005, 09:21 PM
First things first...

do you have access to a universal programmer?

If yes then use an the atmel or pic (since these will be more cost effective)

Will you prefer C or ASM???

If it is ASM then again the lower end ATMEL and PIC should do...

If it is C then consider a microcontroller with more ROM.

For example the Phillips 89C668...

Another point to keep in mind is whether you want internal ADC's or external ADC's. You will be sensing some parameter with you bot... having more componets adds to the power requirments...

so... its you call... these guys have given you a lot of options... weigh them carefully and then decide... plan carefully... do not do ad hoc implementation for you robot... it is quite painful when you have to rework from scratch...

fallout
09-09-2005, 12:11 AM
Hey pallakiran,
I'm from chennai too. My buddies and myself are also into hobby robotics.... We should probably get in touch, exchange ideas and all...... it'll do both of us good..... Mail me if u care----- fallout_nemesis@yahoo.com

Kate
09-13-2005, 12:03 AM
You can develop in half the time!
www.comfiletech.com
:o

rohitd
11-16-2005, 02:40 PM
instead of frying costly cheaps it is advisable to use the 89c51 which is a good microcontroller and costs only 45 rs.
for programmer u can contact me on my mail id r_rrd@rediffmail.com,its too cheap