PDA

View Full Version : Which one???????????

08-08-2004, 07:55 AM
Hi guys;
I am planning to buy a microcontroller.I dont kow what to buy :?.I am a newbie to this kind of thing.Please suggest the model no ,cost and availability
robosapien84

happy_99
08-11-2004, 02:26 PM
Hi guys;
I am planning to buy a microcontroller.I dont kow what to buy :?.I am a newbie to this kind of thing.Please suggest the model no ,cost and availability
robosapien84

You can find the prices of some uPs in [Buy and Sell>Parts and Prices] If you are starting with microchip pic then go for PIC16F877A (Rs.250), because it's the biggest one in 16F series and also it has got a lot of features like UART, 8k ROM, 368b RAM, 10,000 erase cycles etc.

Here are some useful links

PIC Dev Board & Prog http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/masterbyte/

Starting with PICmicro http://www.voti.nl/swp/index.html

Regds

happy_99

allbits
07-14-2006, 09:00 PM
I think before you think buying a microcontroller, you decide what you want to do with it. The most popular options are PIC, 51 variants, and AVR.

If you want just basic IO with some timers, and USART, i think old 51 (89c51, 892051) are the best. its because IO programming is simple with that.

However, if you want some peripherals (like ADC, comparator etc, mainly used with different transducers for temperature and light), you can go in for PIC. You have a wide range of options with PIC flash types.

if you need a 10 bit ADC , LCD interface, USART and timers, go for 16F873.

If you use LCD in 4 bit mode, you can even add a 4x4 kepad, and you still have IO lines left. it also comes with EEPROM.

16F84 doest have ADC or USART, and so may be used for general IO or timer applicarions.

16F877 may be used if you need so many IO lines, along with MSSP(SPI or I2c) . This one is a good one, and its a better idea to keep a development board with 877.

if you need advanced options like USB, CAN, LAN etc, you have an entire range of 18F series. Just browse products at www.microchip.com .

AVR is equally good.

ANyway, what application do you want to use ur microcontroller?