PDA

View Full Version : how would a robotics store fare in india?

ketan
09-14-2005, 08:44 PM
hey guys
i am thinkng of opening up an online robotics store, keeping in mind the needs of an indian hobyist, the prime of which is cost.
how do feel will it be recieved?

vikas
09-14-2005, 11:50 PM
Well it all depends

your target audience will be college students ( most of whom dont have $$$ :) ) . But if you offer things at decent prices itll sell and mostly arnd Sept to feb (the competition season ) . Things which i think will sell ...

*A Decent uC based control board for the robot (with programmer ) the whole package under Rs 500 ( this will sell ). For ex ( MEGA8 based board with UART and motor controller and full extendable will cost abt Rs 400 to build in bulk )

A complete small robot which can follow guideline of most micromice robots .

Things like - RF Trancivers , Sonars , IR range finders etc , drive assembly , geared motors , tyres ( Im sick of ripping toys :) ) .

Also ull have to have multiple payment options ( paypal , CC , online transfer , cheque ( rarely a student will have a CC ) ) .

vidur
09-15-2005, 06:50 AM
Apart from robotics you can be a supplier of electronic parts for custom solutions ...

You may want to keep discretes,ICs,uCs,processors,passives,accesories

the tough part for robotics is the mechanical assemblies rather than the electronics wheich always seems manageble...so parts like gears, couplings, & other mech. parts like what vikas mentioned

Also stuff like books, software, design kits....it'll be a great store ...& YES...most importantly programmers/emulators etc etc

CAUtIon...don't price yourself like kits'n'spares/efy ....it'll be a major turn off!

Trust me...there are hobbyists in ever engineering institute....many of them dont get access to a soldering iron easily esp. in semi-urban locations.

It'll be great if you are able to do something like that...a store for students!

VIdur

the_robo_guy
09-15-2005, 08:12 PM
i think it will do well,

i rather order all components by click than have to go to any whole sale market.

may be even some thing like rs.

tools, parts , books etc

mohit

subot_robot
09-15-2005, 09:17 PM
Go ahead with full steam,
I am rather dying to get good hard to get parts for robotics. It will work out cheaper if u sell the products developed in india rather than importing everything from abroad and reselling it. May be u can collaborate with local company to get custom parts in large volume, like chassis for the robot, servo motor, geared dc motor, matching wheels and gears, gearbox etc etc.
But u may have to import some stuff like ir sensor gp2d12. I am eagerly looking forward for the first indian online robotics shop. GOOD LUCK.

Regards
subot.robot

ketan
09-15-2005, 09:27 PM
well...we would prefer to deal in products where we can do some value addition. Preferably, we would avoid being stokist.
hence selling books, Ic's is not on our agenda right now.
But if we want our store to be a one stop solution for robotics...then we better keep such things.
As a starting point, we plan to develope an atmega 16 based board with motor controll circuitry for 2 dc motor's integrated(capable of taking encoder signal).
also...sample codes can be provided...so that people know how they can controll the motors with a PID loop.
neways.......inputs from u guys is most welcomed.....
hope to contineu the discussion