PDA

View Full Version : Steppers ,servos...

08-12-2004, 04:48 PM
To build your bots which do you prefer most steppers or servos.Did any one use a synchro in your project let me know abt it!!
This forum is dead and has no posts guys please !!!

vikas
08-12-2004, 10:28 PM
Lets see i will recommend servos Why because they are geared and dont require some compilated timing like the Steppers ( but to get it rolling you will have to hack the servo first )

08-13-2004, 02:35 AM
but,they are as good as gear motors then once u hack it.

gear motors are cheaper and can take and handle much load in a particular prics range compared to a servo.

Servos are only used if u need to know ur current position.
For a bot with wheels ,load a gearmotor with a wheel encoder and u have a motor with positional feedback,though complicated!

I'll vouch for geared motors.

-ice
//gerry

http://www.geocities.com/gear996

vikas
08-13-2004, 11:04 AM
Geared are cheaper about 1/3 of the similar servo .... And also they are easily availible in india .

If you can find them they are better .

shiraztk
08-18-2004, 07:10 PM
Hi

If your are designing somewhat heavy robots using robots of vipers ( cars ) are the best option. It cheap and comes with gear .
If you can tolerate little quality its the best. !

regards

vijaymk
01-06-2005, 07:23 AM
Hey, it depends on your application. As suggested by gerry, you need to go for servos if you are particular about the positioning. Another fact is that servos are very easy to operate, it's just about PWM. With steppers, however, the circuitry becomes a little more complex unless you use special stepper drivers.
Interestingly, steppers are easy to find in India. If you ask for a stepper motor at your local electronics shop (Thakaraparambu - tvm'ites might know this place), the vendor may go crazy; instead ask him for a Printer Motor.
Some servos donot allow a full 360 degree rotation. You may need to get rid of a mechanical block by hacking the motor. Consider all these factors before you come up with a final decision.