PDA

View Full Version : Eagle single sided PCB

elexhobby
10-12-2005, 10:39 PM
Hi
I recently read a tutorial on Eagle & got to know atleast the basics of making a PCB design using software.
The auto-route feature in Eagle gives an efficient layer of tracks for a double-sided PCB. However a double sided PCB is very costly as compared to a single sided one (almost 5 times the price). I would like to know if there is any setting in the software, so that it maximizes the tracks on any one side, so that the few tracks on the other side can be connected using wires. (Normally there are approximately an equal number of tracks on both sides.) If there is any other s/w other than eagle which has this kind of single sided auto-routing feature, please let me know.

Thank You…

vidur
10-13-2005, 06:30 AM
use orcad layout

you can design both single & multi layered PCBs

rohitd
10-13-2005, 05:40 PM
hi ,
use orcad layout.
use manual routing as much as possible ,most of the time the auto route dose look easy to do but it unnecessarily takes track in between the pin of an IC,it may be a power supply track or ground or a noisy analog signal track,this may make fault finding quite hard ,so i suggest to use manual routing only.

rohitd

Indroneel
10-15-2005, 03:39 PM
Hi,
Have you tried deleting the layer, you can click on the layers icon and
select the layer and then 'DEL'.
After which you can perform the Autoroute again.
I couldnt try it out myself , I hope it works for you.
Indroneel

Vivek
10-16-2005, 09:09 AM
You can do Auto-Routing of single sided PCBs in Eagle as follows:
Before starting the Auto-Router, (tools-auto)
Select N/A for top layer. and start.

Howevere, avoid Autorouting in PCBs; as it has too many -ve effects. No professional designer uses autorouting for most of their PCB work.
Auto-routing sounds easy way out but following are problems -

1. The default Autorouting Rules of any software are too fine for most PCB makers in India.
So set them wider - ie. minimum track-width = 10mils or higher, min track spacing = 10mils or higher. ("DRC" rules in Eagle determine this)

2. even after doing the above, the Auto-router will not layout PCB for good noise performance. You may see the tracks have un-nessary bends where they could have been straight and so on..

3. Some autorouters are better than others. In Many cases Eagle autorouter doesnt complete the layout 100%. the autorouting performance depends on how components are placed on the board.

4. rule: the manually designed pcb by a good engineer is always 100 times better than autorouted one.

cheers!
Vivek

Indroneel
10-18-2005, 12:43 AM
Hi again,
I did get to try my suggestion of deleting a layer and well it DOES NOT work !!
Sorry about that hypothesis !
Vivek is right , using n/a on the tool > auto is the way to go.

Indroneel