PDA

View Full Version : Project and microprocessor help

mukesh2000may
10-18-2005, 10:41 PM
i am new to microprocessors. I have read many of your articles and found them to be useful. I also came to know that Atmel's AVR microcontrollers are easier to learn than PIC and 8051. So regarding Atmel's AVR can u specify me what is STK series of boards specified on the ponyprog website. Is it a programmer or a development board or a combination of both.

Also i and my friend are developing a project on robotics in final year of M.Sc. -(IT). We are developing a path learner robot. we are comfortable with software part but are not well versed with hardware part. we are clear with the basics of electronics but not with microcontrollers.

our basic idea is to develop a circuit which contains two components interconnected with each other. One component contains microcontroller which implements obstacle avoidance. Another component contains another microcontroller.
first of all helpme with controlling one microcontroller and then guide me with interconnecting two microprocessors

i am thinking of using AVR.
8O

vikas
10-19-2005, 12:29 AM
AVR's are easiest .
STK's are expensive ... build own board
Pony prog is a Serial programmer ( ISP )
path learner robot - Google it -- Itll be there

mukesh2000may
10-20-2005, 12:13 AM
Thanks Vikas,

But can u guide us with the development of board, maybe an schematic with PCB diagram will help.

By the way ur project was also great and it will act as an reference for us.

there are many sites which provide free board diagrams. Is developing that boards worthy, or will it help. :roll:

nchinoy
10-20-2005, 11:35 AM
I guess you will first need to put a time frame in the picture to make up between an "expensive" development board or to built your own board. If time is a concern and you are not too sure about what you expect from your board then look out for a development kit. There are a lot cheaper development boards made by some embedded companies which act as both development and programmer boards. If you are based in bombay then i can give you the details of LateralSoft, they are embedded company and i know that they make development boards.

Secondly if you are not too sure gauge the complexity of your project to get it done in time. Say for implementing even a very simple algo, using all the analog feedbacks you will need a good amount of time to just get started !!! The first 25% of your robot moving will take the most time .. once you have got the setup up and running then your development time will take a speedy rate...

Pratical implementation takes much longer then theoritical know-how... ;-)

Just a word of caution not to trouble you or anything ... I have been there thats why...

Thats my 2 cents worth,

Cheers,

Nimesh S Chinoy

devpriya
10-20-2005, 04:56 PM
Mukesh I think you better start with a very simple ISP programmer with LEDs connected to each port via tri-state buffers(like 74HCT244) and put some 8-pin connectors in between PORTS and buffers to tap out the output or input if you need to interface it with something. I think a board of this kind is very very cheap and will serve most of your purpose of testing the code.

Anyhow you want to test your code for some set of inputs for which you are expecting certain outputs. This you can always test on such boards.

mukesh2000may
10-23-2005, 08:31 PM
If you are based in bombay then i can give you the details of LateralSoft, they are embedded company and i know that they make development boards.

i am based in bombay please provide me with the details of Lateral soFt

EmbeddedGuy
10-24-2005, 10:58 AM
Hello,
Please provide me the info. of Lateral Soft. I am from NEW BOMBAY. I also would like to meet budding embedded people particularly those who are 8 BITER. So this way we can share our knowledg and exchange ideas.

Bye

ashu
10-24-2005, 11:01 PM
If u are not cleared with the basics of AVR ATMEL series
try these links
http://avrbeginners.net
http://avr-asm-tutorial.net

These may be helpful to u to learn the basics and grasp them quickly

And about STK
u should use a parallel port network which can transfer the data from ur PC to chip
that is done by a software pony prong

Search on google u may find some link related to that
Bye
Ankur

nchinoy
10-25-2005, 12:01 PM
Sorry for the late reply just a little busy working ...

Lateral Soft
218, The Great Eastern Galleria,
Sector -4, Nerul,
Navi Mumbai - 400706,
India.
Tel : +91 22 27722209, +91 22 27702919
Fax: +91 22 27722209
Email: info@lateralsoft.com

You can tell them that you are a student and interested in a development board.

Hope that helps ...

Cheers,

Nimesh S Chinoy

mukesh2000may
10-27-2005, 12:41 AM
Thanks nchinoy for ur sincere help. hope that helps me out. i will contact and see what happens.