PDA

View Full Version : Using webcam for image recognition

techoboy
02-19-2004, 05:02 PM
Hey i have a somple webcam lying around i was thinking of linking up to my robot in some way . Is it possible ??? And what would be the best thing to do .... :?:

Vishy
02-23-2004, 04:17 PM
Hi,
was thinking on the same lines some time back. but didnt amount to much. i think the way to start of would be to find out how USB connector is configured and try and lay your hand on a USB chip from which data can be taken as required.

Vishy

shiraztk
07-26-2004, 11:27 AM
Hi

Playing with image is bit easy if you can use VB. The web cam image can be put into a picture box. You neednt worry about usb ect. Once the picture is in picture box you can do small image processing with that

Regards

vikas
07-26-2004, 06:22 PM
In java also its quite easy ( ive worked with JMF ) but dont you think VB is a little slow at image processing :)

sri
07-27-2004, 10:44 AM
get a driver called Videos for Matlab
if u dont find it jst drop me a mail i'll send it to u

you can capture images from any kind of WCAMs, CMOS , CCD directly
into your matlab routines

OH YES u must know matlab

any and all kind of image processing can be done in matlab
u can use built in routines or make your own

once u get the hang of it, it is quite straight forward

vikas
07-27-2004, 12:40 PM
In java you have JMF and twain for image capture ...
But is ill recommend MatLab its more powerfull at image manipulation and provides most transforms out of the Box .

shiraztk
07-28-2004, 03:44 PM
For Matlab :)

You can accomplish things that would take 100ths of lines of coding by just few lines in matlab.

vikas
07-28-2004, 06:09 PM
But what if you have to build an application ( then you will have to use Java / VC++ ) .... Also remember Matlab is more like a research platform ( simulation !!! ) If you have a big project hand you might tun into diffiulties ...

Naveenoid
08-30-2004, 02:53 AM
While I am Yay for good old Matlab, Vikas's concerns are correct.

Matlab does provide an Interface Toolbox allowing you to create a GUI but for actual deployment, VC++/ Java is far more suited(Very stable for one) though in the current application I would be inclined to use VC++ on account of the speed and Components readily available(you can get a lot of the stuff online to minimise coding time). My current work is to develop an automated Fruit/Vegetable Grading and sorting Station (utilising a Camera, FrameGrabber Card and an automatd sorting Assembly line)for a company and I am trying a new approach (mail me at smells_like_naveen@yahoo.com for more info). While I am developing the technique in Matlab, the company calls for a VC++ version for an error free online functioning. So I guess this would be the right approach i.e. tinkering and finetuning the approach in Matlab followed by coding in VC++ or Java.
Also If your aim is to play around with the image its fine but to actually process and do some useful stuff out of it(such as obstacle avoidance) you need the approach similar to the one given above.

sumandeep1984
10-10-2004, 02:18 AM
Guys,

I need help in developing on-board vision system for one of my autonomous bots, is there any way to do this other than using DSP kits

rick2047
12-13-2007, 09:12 PM
Try this:

http://www.roboticsindia.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=151

docel
12-13-2007, 11:07 PM
Rick...
Stop cross-referencing the same posts, unless you have a solution to the OPs query. It is misleading and simply goes around the same posts in circles and leads to confusion.

-Mod.

rick2047
12-18-2007, 08:54 PM
I'll keep this in mind ..

Rahul

rick2047
12-18-2007, 09:27 PM
hi,
Its specially to : techoboy

When robot is ready n further wanted to add a cam...

buy a (wireless USB cam) or (tiny wireless cam wid TV port (don't know the name)+TV Tuner Card ; Cost : 1500+Card Cost)

For VB Code Examples for camera image handling
Try this :
http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.php?p=2048466

Others :

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/directx/LiveVideo.aspx

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/vb/webcamcapture.aspx

I hope It will work
.. n the same thing I am trying to do
.. n given some hint in the cross reference.
Sorry if that misled.

For sumandeep1984
I am also trying but in different way:
Above all wid : http://triindia.co.in/shop/product_info.php?cPath=54&products_id=96

My aim is to make a bot having vision n analysis based output for manupulation.Then make a flybot n use cam in that. Too big n interesting self project.
To help me, If you want plz go through my earlier link.u'll know my earlier n present condition n progress.

Rahul

allbits
12-18-2007, 10:14 PM
And you expect techoboy to come back to read a thread posted 3 years back?? :evil:

milindbhamawat
12-20-2007, 02:33 AM
hi everyone.. can anyone please help me learn image processing via vc++...

i need to start from the basics for a project of mine in which using webcam n real time image processing, my bot needs to complete a task..