PDA

View Full Version : Basic Questions from a beginner

brazenoutlaw
11-15-2005, 10:25 PM
Hi all,
I am a beginner in microcontroller field. After having gone through the articles posted here I am convinced that AVR is the best to start off with. Nearest metro - Bangalore is quite far from where I live. So I just want make sure that i have all info before i buy

1) Ok this may seem trivial to you, but what exactly is a "Programmer" ?
From the articles that I have read here and elsewhere, the word 'programmer' refers to Software (like Averdude in one of the earlier articles) in some cases and hardware in others. I am really confused about this term :cry:

2) I also saw the AVR site. It had a lot of ,uc listed. Which ,uc should i go for(available in Bangalore) from AVR ? I'm looking one with a lot of features. Any idea of the cost would be helpful.

3) What is the best source of reference for AVR ,uc. I have all the pdf files from its website regarding Instruction set and architecture. Would this be enough. Should I refer to any other book.

Thank You in advance
OUTLAW

rao
11-15-2005, 10:35 PM
Dude,

1. A programmer consists of the hardware through which you interface your uC to the comp and the software using which you stuff your programs into the uC...

2. Go for atmel Mega 8 . It costs around 150/- here in Delhi, moreover it has all the features any beginner can want in a uC... pleace check the datasheet for features

3. The best site for AVR stuff is http://www.avrfreaks.net. It has got everything from programming to beginner projects to good software for assemblers and compilers and simulators for aAVR uCs

hope this helps..

Rao

rohitd
11-16-2005, 11:38 AM
hi ,
i dont know about the AVR ,i also heard they are cool,but i have studied and used 80xx series in my college life and so i am still using the 89c51 since then. ya but as mentioned by rao avr is bit costly 150rs while 89c51 is 45 bucks!! not a problem to burn one or two while experimenting!!
atleast i do :P :lol:

rightly said by rao ,
a programmer is a software+hardware interface between your PC on which your programme to be downloded resides and the microcontroler chip to which the programme is to be downloded.

so a programmer has a harware and software too in all cases,some time in case of microcntroller like 89c51rd2 with ISP capability have most of the hardware integrated in the chip itself ,but still RS232 interface is required,but such chips are bit costly for experimenting,here in pune we get it at 250RS.but ya those chips are wonderfull though :D
rohitd
r_rrd@rediffmail.com

EmbeddedGuy
11-16-2005, 10:52 PM
Hi,
If you are starting microcontroller so I suggest you to go for 8051 becoz it is very simple and low cost, simple means it has more number of asm instruction set as compared to PIC and AVR. And second it is low cost.

Bye

kunal
11-17-2005, 11:38 AM
Hi,
If you are starting microcontroller so I suggest you to go for 8051 becoz it is very simple and low cost, simple means it has more number of asm instruction set as compared to PIC and AVR. And second it is low cost.

Bye

try at89c51+sdcc+programmer by sunil jha.this one is cheap and very easy to use.

gives a quick start to ur project.

good to try .

rohitd
11-17-2005, 03:09 PM
if a programmer is nedded i can send it to u its cheap and its the EZ programmer.dose work fine with me

abhijit8
11-18-2005, 01:44 AM
i hav read that an avr uC can be programmed with a very simple ckt using a very few components. i hav not yet studied microcontrollers in my course(guess its in 3rd yr).
i hav 2 build a line follower bot. i hav 2 run 2 DC motors using pwm and 6-8 IR sensor inputs. will atmega8 do dat?
what r d components dat i need 2 buy 4 building its programmer?

rao
11-18-2005, 11:56 AM
You need only 4 220 ohm / 1k resistors for the programmer..

dont believe me?? check out the ponyprog parallel port programmer or the AVRDUDE programmer.....

yeah, the ATMEGA 8 can do that.. check out the datasheet.. you even have the facility for loading bootstrap in the mega series.. i.e. RTOS..UART support, lotsa memory, a good no. of I/O pins(atleast as many you require), come on.. which other Rs.150/- micro gives that to you??

well that may be purely my views. you can very well go on with your 8051 or whatever..

Rao

Razorlight
08-22-2009, 02:46 PM
ATMEGA 8 can most definately do all the things required for a line follower.

And you might even get it cheaper depending on your location. It costs Rs.75 here in Chennai :D