PDA

View Full Version : Gears

dr0w
11-17-2005, 08:28 AM
hi,
i have a problem finding gears for my motors.
the problem is that i dont know which vcr models and manufacturers are ok.
which ones do you use?
i need to build basic gear reduction system, so i guess i need at least two gears for each motor
tell me your experience?
what to buy? how to buy?
these things don't come in a manual :)

ps i write this because i dread asking an angry woman working at a local vcr shop for that, she breathes fire and is rather nervous and impatient when someone doesn't know exact catalog or model number, not because im lazy and want you to do all work for me.

subot_robot
11-17-2005, 10:21 AM
Hi,
It is better to buy geared dc motor rather than trying to build our own if u want decent torque. Building our own gear box is not that easy. Also it might be hard to get VCR spare parts as VCRs are out of date.

Regards
Subot_robot

Sandeep
11-17-2005, 12:28 PM
The gears as per the requirement can be made in workshop but it costs very high, yes a good alternative is to buy gears which are available in commercial products, like xerox machines etc. Geared motors are really good and easy to use but they have a limitation on speed and torque.

So it really depends upon your application. for small robots toys are always a good source of gears and motors. I just bought a car costing 800 rs. and got a pair of powerful gearboxes with mabuchi motors.