PDA

View Full Version : Tinning Soldering Irons

Supario
11-19-2005, 07:14 PM
Hi,

This is probably a bit of a dumb question. All the 'how to solder' pages on the internet and in books say that before you start you should put a little solder on the tip and make it shiny to help solder and keep the tip in good condition, but whenever I try to tin a soldering iron it just vapourises and makes a lot of black crust on the soldering iron. Is the solder Im using the wrong type or something? Is tinning really important?

Thanks
Supario

rao
11-19-2005, 07:33 PM
no no.. that happens with almost everyone..

just before use.. when the solder is cold.. sand the tip to remove any previous dirt accumulated... and use flux.. usually the solder wire is flux cored.. if it aint then use flux.. the job of flux is to seperate dirt from the tin and make good solder joints..

tinning is good as new solder sticks quickly and aptly to it.. instead of balls of tin running on the tip..

more views are welcome..

Rao

brother_four
11-21-2005, 02:46 AM
good topic.

when u tin an iron u have to form a permanent layer of the solder on the tip. to do this :

1) Clean the iron

2) heat the iron to optimum temperature

3) put a little solder on the sloping part of the tip and its back.

4) wet a cotton duster or sponge under a tap, squeeze out the excess water and air it a teeny weeny bit. make sure its damp enough but not wet.

5) fold the cloth in two,gently rub the tip along its length on the cloth. do it like swiftly, coz the water will vaporate after just 1 or 2 contacts. the layer will be formed in the meantime. repea steps till u 've the required length tinned.

about flux, I personally use Resin cored solder. it works better than flux for me. plus I buy a brand called Shree.