PDA

View Full Version : Linear Motion - Against rotary

brazenoutlaw
11-20-2005, 01:52 PM
Hi,
I've just been wondering about the different kinds of linear motions that can be achieved; like through hydraulics for instance. What are the other ways of achieving this ? I'm aware of compressed gas also being made use of for doing this. But the major problem is they they are not portable.
I'll try to add links as I find them in this subject. Meanwhile I'd like others to contribute their opinions aswell

-
OUTLAW

smart0730
11-20-2005, 10:26 PM
hey outlaw...

well....linear motion is possible by using the motors...by connecting motor to a ballscrew, belts or pulleys ....another way is using linear motors...i read about these linear servo motors...but never had seen one.....a linear motor is essentially a rotary motor that has been opened out into a flat plane, but it operates on the same principles.... the same electromagnetic force that produces torque in a rotary motor also produces torque in a linear motor....for more info...google it....

varun

Sandeep
11-21-2005, 12:59 AM
Linear motion can be achieved by number of ways, by lead screw, rack & pinion, belts etc.

Hydraulics and pneumatics are good options to get great force and speed but the biggest problem is they are much costlier than electric systems. And for small machines they are just useless, but for big machines like JCBs, cranes they are widely used.

brazenoutlaw
11-21-2005, 07:50 PM
I have seen a few Chinese toys, basically miniature JCBs and cranes. These toys have linear motion, but I GUESS it makes use of a motor and a string to lift and nature's gravity to bring things down. Has anybody seen how it actually works ?