PDA

View Full Version : isp

robosmart
11-23-2005, 07:13 PM
hi every body
i need to use atmega8 for my project. but i am very confused about its programming . doesn't being isp mean not requiring a programmer (hardware) ? but i have read a few articles to the contrary. could u be kind enough to clear my confusion regarding this.
subo
(robosmart)!!

Supario
11-23-2005, 11:18 PM
Hi,

Almost all AVR devices including the ATMega8 can be programmed using a very simple ISP programming circuit. An AVR has four IO pins that are used during programming, MISO, MOSI, SCK and RESET'. After writing your program you can transfer it to the microcontroller using software like AVRDude or Ponyprog via the parallel port. The adapter (dongle) needed to connect the parallel port to those 4 pins on the microcontroller is very easy to build and requires only a single buffer IC and some connectors. A programming board for the AT90S2313 is there somewhere on this site. It can easily be adapted to program an Mega8. Google "STK200" and you will get a lot of schematics for similar programming adapters.

Cheers,
Supario

yogi
11-24-2005, 04:46 PM
use AVRDUDE programmer

IF you r using WinAVR AVRDUDE is inbuilt in the software

it cost only a parallel port cable and can be pgmed using the voltage from parallel port of pc

Bibin John
www.bibinjohn.tk

devpriya
11-24-2005, 05:23 PM
The people above have answered most of your questions :) I just want to add one tip - Dont use Windows XP Professional for programming , instead use Windows 98 or ME or even XP Home will do, if you are using Linux then no prob at all.

Even after installing the giveio program which comes bundled with WinAVR, I was not able to program it in XP Professional, while in XP home it worked !

Supario
11-25-2005, 04:07 PM
Hi,

I also had a problem accessing the parallel port when I tried to programming using AVRDude and Ponyprog 2000 in Windows XP 'proffesional' . This can be solved by installing and enabling a driver called DriverLinx Port I/O Driver (dlportio.sys).

Supario