PDA

View Full Version : Off the beat question but is urgent

devpriya
12-30-2005, 11:22 PM
Hey guys this is not related to robotics but its urgent to clarify thats why I asked this question.

Today for the first time my computer got shut down due to overheating and I got a message that due to overheating Thermal Shutdown was enabled, I got this message at the time of booting, after it got shutdown automatically.

My computer's configuration is Pentium 4 3.2GHZ 800Mhz , Intel 865GBF motherboard, 2 256 MB 400MHz DDR RAMs in dual channel, XFX GeForceFX 5200 Graphics Card 256MB, 120GB HDD, I have one extra rear fan in the casing.

My computer was getting hanged up sometimes when I used to play games earlier. I have taken out this current processor of mine from another computer of mine so this processor isn't having the Thermal paste of its own. But this swapping of processors I did almost 4 months ago, it worked fine during these 4 months. Now suddenly I got this problem. The thermal paste which I have applied is some 10Rs. white paste called "Armstrong Thermal Solution " which I got from one reputed comp. shop of Bangalore. I asked him for some good one then he showed me one Brand which cost 450Rs. so I came with this 10Rs. one only.

Today after that overheating message I opened my CPU heatsink and applied the thermal paste again after cleaning the previous one. To my surprise the previous paste was still wet while the original one which comes with the BOX pack gets hardened up as soon as we use it once. Well I applied the paste and again started the comp. Now its working at 57C normally and as soon as I push the CPU by running programs like DivX encoder, the temperature goes up to 69-70C within 5 minutes. Then I stop it and the temp again comes back to 57C.

Is this temperature fine ? What is the maximum operating temp. for Pentium 4 3.2 GHz mPGA478 800Mhz FSB , I dont know whether it is Prescott or Northwood !

Can you suggest me some solution if this is alarming temperature , becuase Bangalore is quite cold these days, so it shouldnt be hot in this weather ?

vikas
12-30-2005, 11:58 PM
http://users.erols.com/chare/elec.htm#intel ( check max temp about 69 Deg for your Processor ) .

Is ur fan at full speed ? ( check the RPM ) . Also the paste works fine ( ive used it many time ... yes the Rs 10 one .

If nothing works ... Get water/ compressed gas based cooling.

devpriya
12-31-2005, 12:32 AM
Well the fan is running at 2550 to 2650 RPM. I dont know whether it is its full speed or not ?

Yaar , processor jalega to nahin na ?

the_robo_guy
12-31-2005, 12:24 PM
If you want to get water cooling PM me i will hook you up!!!

As for the thermal paste the 10rs paste should be good for un-over-clocked chip. I use Arctic Silver 5.

devpriya
01-01-2006, 01:30 AM
Hey what would be the cost of water cooling setup ?