PDA

View Full Version : Why AVR Microcontroller?

EmbeddedGuy
01-14-2006, 10:30 AM
Hi.

I have seen so many robotics projects including here on this site. All the projects and discussion is based on AVR microcontroller, why this? Since 8051 and PIC also have same capability. Why most of robotics projects are based on AVR?

Bye

Supario
01-14-2006, 03:04 PM
Hi,

AVR is by far the easiest to program. The hardware needed is very simple to make. The AVR capable of really high throughputs (16MIPS @ 16MHz) compared to 1 MIPS for every 4MHz for a PIC. There are a lot of good free asseblers, compilers and debuggers for AVR series like avr studio and avr-gcc. Also for the features you get the price is really good. An ATMega8 with 8kb flash, 1 kb RAM, 512 bytes EEPROM, a UART, 3 timers, TWI and SPI interface and a 6 channel ADC costs only around Rs 90.

PIC micros are also pretty good and for applications with demanding analog input requirements they are probably better than AVRs. They have ADCs that sample at 100k samples/second compared to 15k samples/second for the AVR. I think that the slow speed of the AVR ADC is the only real limitation it suffers from. 16 bit variants of the PIC are also comming out soon.

Supario

devpriya
01-14-2006, 03:35 PM
Hey guys the only motivating factor for me was the amount of help available for AVR ( in my surroundings ) was much more than for any other uC. :D

boseji
01-14-2006, 06:50 PM
Hi.

I have seen so many robotics projects including here on this site. All the projects and discussion is based on AVR microcontroller, why this? Since 8051 and PIC also have same capability. Why most of robotics projects are based on AVR?

Bye

Hi,

Its all because AVR has the highest Speed-to-POwer ratio. With all the Periferals and that too at a Cheap price than PIC. Also if you compare x51 they have a weak intruction set and cant have the power of processing in RISC that AVR has.
So AVR RULEZ!!!

Hail AVR!!!

Regards,

Boseji

lhx
01-14-2006, 07:37 PM
With AVR u would save development time thanks to In System Programming and Boot Loader support.

On the software front there are some nice tools like the AVR studio for simulation, easy to use C compilers like CodeVisionAVR, WinAVR(open source) etc.

The Programming hardware is easy to build.
Learning Curve is shorter compared to any other chip.
It's easily available in India
Even entry level chips support USART, ADC and PWM generation .
High Performance to Cost ratio.

yogi
01-14-2006, 08:32 PM
The main thing abt microcontroller is cost

The cost factor include <microcontroller cost+additional facilities(ADC,Flash so on)> <compilers(free)> <programmer cost> <help on internet>

If u compare AVR with 8051 which is not having ADC, it is a difficulty
In programmer cost AVR is better than PIC
for books PIC is better

But when i am talking abt compilers, i will talk u abt my final yr project. AVR have free Compilers(avrstudio and winavr). I am working on connecting atmega32 to Lan. When I implemented Mac,IP,ARP abt 2.1KB of flash is full. I am using WinAVR(AVr-gcc). Trial version of compilers allow max of 2KB. Only AVR have a good open-source C compiler, while others don't have. Now I had to add some other protocols, so the flash pgm will go more and I had to buy a compiler if I use PIC,8051(I don't know abt cracks of compilers of uC's, but less probability to obtain). This is the great advantage i felt

Disadvantage: he told abt ADC speed, then a good book on AVR

lhx
01-14-2006, 09:20 PM
I am working on connecting atmega32 to Lan.

I'd like to hear more about it. pls PM me your yahoo or msn id.

unimatrix
01-15-2006, 03:59 AM
So AVR doesn't suck like PIC... cool.
Can it also get fried really quickly like PIC does?

vikas
01-25-2006, 07:14 PM
http://www.electricstuff.co.uk/picvsavr.html