PDA

View Full Version : How fast does a line follower go?

phazor
01-25-2006, 09:22 PM
I am building a fast line follower for a plain line following contest. I did a lookup on the net and found that the fastest one goes at an AVERAGE speed of 104 cm/s. (http://www.robotroom.com/Jet.html) and even my peak speed on track is nowhere close to that.

I request all you guys to post the average line following speed of ur bot or for that matter any line follower u've come across.

sidhant
01-25-2006, 10:13 PM
Hi!,
y collegues in coll made a line follower, and their bot's avg speed was around 80cm/s. Actually it as limited because of the response time of the LDR. te faser the LDR responds, more the speed you can increase. They replaced LDR with IR detector i guess and inreased speed to around 95cm/s

Rgds,
Sidhant

P.S.: sorry for misspelled words, keyboard's btt weak :)

addy
01-26-2006, 02:07 AM
sorry to interrupt!!!!!
r u guys talking about straight course line following or following a completely happazard line???? becoz if its the later, i wonder how can u get 104cm/s..........

phazor
01-26-2006, 09:25 AM
I am talking abt the AVERAGE speed on a track with smoothened 90 degree turns, like the one shown at http://www.robotroom.com/Jet.html
how fast does ur bot go?

I am using IR sensors at present, I dont think thas a major issue, the bot goes in a zig-zag fashion on the course line. I want it to 'hold on' to the line. If I increase the speed,it loses the track on turns.

rao
01-26-2006, 06:19 PM
speed also depends on the size of the sensor array and speed division strategies..

Rao

phazor
01-29-2006, 07:53 PM
I'm using an array of 8 sensors.
what are speed division strategies?

rao
01-29-2006, 08:26 PM
speed division also depends on the width of the line you are following w.r.t the spacing b/w 2 consecutive pairs.
you can divide speed like 100 percent when line is between the middle 2 pairs, and 12.5% decrease in speed for the line between the next pair and so on..

in such cases , lower degree bends get faster speeds than rigid 2 speed lfrs .. you can have as many speeds as per your requirement..

But I guess you already knew that or you wouldnt have made an array in the first place..

Rao