PDA

View Full Version : avr programmer problem

hacksgen
02-02-2006, 03:04 AM
hi guys .
i need some help .
i am using parallel port programmer from lancos.com site.
i did all the connections asper the site.
and i switched on the programmer along wiht my atmega16 connected to it.
but when i try to program using winavr it says that the device is not responding.

the exact error is

avrdude -p atmega16 -P lpt1 -c pony-stk200 -e -U flash:w:led.hex

avrdude: AVR device not responding
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

can anyone give me suggestions on how to check whether my programmer is detected by the software or not and also how to detect the atmega16 uC attached to the programmer .

also please tell me how do i set the ponyprog software to use the lpt port as even pony prog does'nt recognize the programmer.

i m using winxp for programming and as per previous posts i have installed the file giveio.sys to give winavr parallel port acces but still nothin happens.

just a thought but do i need to give the atmega16 and the bufer ic 74hc244 separate 5v supply to program or does it use the port supply for programming.

and please tell me the how to map the 10 pn box header in the programmer to the atmega16 pins.

thanks

yogi
02-02-2006, 05:41 AM
if u use BSD programmer.
Parallel Port Programmer Function
Pin 7 AVR /RESET
Pin 8 AVR SCK (clock input)
Pin 9 AVR MOSI (instruction in)
Pin 10 AVR MISO (data out)
Pin 18 Signal Ground
external supply Vcc

The troubleshooting are

The main reasons are

1. u connected reset pin to external Vcc or gnd ( disconnect it)
2. External power supply may be off
3. parallel port cable may be not fitted properly
4. See whether u interchanged MISO and MOSI
5. see whether ur parallel port is working or not by using LPT.exe
6. See for short-ckt between pins

some parallel ports won't work like that of Intel915 bcz they have special protection, i don't know much abt it. I have tried parallel port interfacing on it but data port was not properly working.

Tell which OS r u using and uC.

Now the main problems are

Yikes! :- I have faced it, but after sometime i again programmed it(i might have done some hardware repairs), it worked properly.

Verification Error:- This is due to loose contact with wires. If u keep wires just touched with parallel port(once i tried with hand for connecting parallel port and wires to uC), then this occured.

So u check the following things:-

1. Check breadboard, new breadboards have this problem(some parts don't have good connection)
2.Check ur parallel port with lpt.exe
3. See any loose contact.
4. See the tips i said above

I think now this will work

see
http://www.roboticsindia.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=840

Bibin John
www.bibinjohn.tk

hacksgen
02-02-2006, 03:43 PM
i am using windowsXP and atmega16 microcontroller.

i tried ur suggestions but the programmer does'nt get deected and neeither is the uC in winavr.i rechecked all the connections twice but of no avail.my supply is working properly as i am able to run a small 6V dc motor with it easily.

i will give u the details.
i earlier used the parallel port programmer form the lancos.com site but now
i am using the bsd programmer with 1kohm resistor connected between each of the parallel port and microcontroller lines.i am giving it 5v supply from l7805cv regulator.also their is no external oscillator as i want to use the internal oscilator itself.

i tried to write it again but it simply refuses to while giving the same error as above.

i dont know how to use the lpt.exe programm tell me how do i use it and know whether my parallel port is working or not

cud u please post me the pictures and details of ur programmer showing all the details so that i may compare it .

thanks

hacksgen
02-02-2006, 03:48 PM
please post the detailsof ur programmer to harish_ieee@yahoo.co.in

yogi
02-02-2006, 09:07 PM
first u do parallel port interfacing

u join yahoo gp-parallelport
I have written a document named Parallel Port For u, download it and study, download lpt.exe,userport.zip,pforu also
install userport.zip to interface in c/c++/java
study Parallel Port For u
do parallel port first then go for micrcontroller
otherwise it will cause a great problem.

I have given connections above or search for bsd programmer.
First u do parallel port interfacing, then come to uC
Tell ur motherboard configuration. AVRdude will work with XP

Bibin John
www.bibinjohn.tk