PDA

View Full Version : Web cam based Image Recognition

Pulkit_gaur
09-06-2004, 03:59 PM
Anyone interested in webcam based image recognition.
I did some work.

mexx
09-07-2004, 09:06 PM
hii guys

can u help the newbies like me in image processing.....i mean how to begin(n proceed)....which processor can be used for image processing?? :?:

regards
mexx

vikas
09-07-2004, 09:55 PM
People do not usally do Image processing on micros ( it compution intensive ) People usally do it on the PC's, there are many good libraries availible for free on the net for any transforms you would like to do ... hough , edge detect , etc

Personally i like JAVA JAI based libraries ( due to platform independence )

Pulkit_gaur
09-07-2004, 10:37 PM
Hi folks,

Well i personally think that JAVA should not be used for image preocessing
as Image Processing is a resource intensive task and JAVA resides on a virtual layer which demands its share of processing power too, I think best think to go for thing like this is VC in win platforms and C in linux to achieve good results.

regarding libraries , there are plenty of and Intel CV is a good platform to start with and above all its open source.

Thanks and regards
-
Pulkit

vikas
09-08-2004, 06:55 AM
Java does have its downside :( - thats it slow ( But i dont like porting code - so i was recommending them ) I also like the normal C based libraries ( fastest ) .

jagan
09-22-2004, 06:42 PM
Hi Pulkit,

i new to this site, i am very much intersted to develop Image reco for my control unit, now it has only voice reco and controlling electrical gadgets at my house it is give me lot of service since last two years i want to add image reco also please advice me. i developed this one in P4 mother board and useing ISA port is controlling the relays.

Please advice me some good sites to start Image reco.

regards
jagan

sumandeep1984
10-10-2004, 02:27 AM
Hi Pulkit,

Can you give me some tips / techniques to use an on-board vision ?? I have already done Image Processing using VC ++. This would be really helpfull to me.

Pulkit_gaur
10-10-2004, 05:54 PM
Hi ,
well if can u specify what type of processing unit u would b using ..then i can help u better !

-
Pulkit

sumandeep1984
10-14-2004, 02:23 PM
Well,

Actually, I'm building a walking robot which explores a given region, for that I wished to have on-board vision. Can some processing be done using microcontrollers, eg 8051/8052 etc.(I have a 8051 family programmer only).

I need help in capture of USB web - cam mage onto the on board memory. If you could suggest some way to do this.

vikas
10-14-2004, 06:30 PM
To do some img processing ull need a uC running at least 40 - 50 Mhz and the 8051 arch is a CISC based and too slow for such things :( . The best advice will be to do it using a computer . Also USB based webcams are very hard to interface to a uC .

Pulkit_gaur
10-14-2004, 07:46 PM
Hi Sumandeep,

Vikas is right ..
Actually it is not possible to do this with 8051/52 microcontroller.
Reason being their low computing power,memory and limited features.

For a reasonable image identification system u need to have a very
fast processor with decent memory availability.
If u want something based on microprocessor u can go for CMU-CAM.

The new version is quite capable of doing various things and it can
be programmed in c and assembly.A lot of programs are available on the net
for free also.We had a thread "CMU cam " also ...search it somehwere here
at RI and a similar thread is also at MIG India.

Interfacing a webcam to a micro will be a wastage of resources as
webcam has a micro to convert raw image signals to USB standards and
after that u again will be converting that to raw image data. :(

There are two solutions possible to your problem :

1) Go for CMU Cam or something like that ( On board low power processing
system with limited capability )

2) Use a wireless camera and send signals to a PC where u can run a complex
image reco engine and send the data back via RF data link. ( cheaper and more
effective solution !! )

regards
-
Pulkit
MIG India

vikas
10-14-2004, 11:04 PM
Ill also recommend getting the RF based cams ... they are a little expensive but then the PC can take care of the computing requirements so no resource hungry power on robot side ... BTW i think the CMU cam will be nearyly equivalent to a RF cam :) . Also the CMU cam is not that great even if you want a little advanced img processing ..

jnshiva
12-21-2004, 12:13 PM
Ill also recommend getting the RF based cams ... they are a little expensive but then the PC can take care of the computing requirements so no resource hungry power on robot side ... BTW i think the CMU cam will be nearyly equivalent to a RF cam :) . Also the CMU cam is not that great even if you want a little advanced img processing ..

i want a cmu cam interfaced with AT89C52 microcontroller

tpsbpl
09-12-2005, 03:00 AM
maybe this link helps you
TPSBPL
http://www.seeingwithsound.com/

Tong
12-16-2005, 07:26 AM
does anyone know how to programme the cmucam with the dsp tms320f2812 ? i am doing a project on image recognition using the cmucam. i have tried modified the example downloaded from the texas instrument website using the SCI module. can someone help me to prgramme the cmucam with f2812 ?thanks a lot

rick2047
12-13-2007, 09:11 PM
try this:

http://www.roboticsindia.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=151