PDA

View Full Version : duration of stepping pulses

hacksgen
04-28-2006, 10:50 PM
hi friends,

i have a stepper motor from an old 5-1/2 inch floppy drive.i found out that its gives 200steps per revolution .i want to know how long shud the pulse duration be to each coil so that it moves one step.i searched google but all results pointed me on how the stepping sequences shud be but not how long the pulse duration shud be.

any inputs will be appreciated.,

thanks

shushil
04-28-2006, 11:24 PM
i think you don't know the basic of stepping sequences.
ya its correct it depend on the stepping sequence,whether it is half ,full, or mixed stepping sequence.
Also whether you are using it as a unipolar or bipolar.
First i would suggest u to go through all the different stepping sequences.

from the old floppy drive stepper motor i hardly get more than 150rpm speed aa well as good torque.
So you can calculate stepping time =150/60/200=.0125sec
its totally based on experimental result ,upto which speed ur motor gives sufficient torque.

yogi
04-29-2006, 12:31 AM
see speed and torque are inversly proportional. The time difference between two steps depends on your motor. Use delays starting from 1ms, see the point in which stepper motor is not loosing the sequence. You can feel it by touching on the shaft of the motor. See a point in which the stepper is not loosing sequence, i.e, the stepper is not vibrating and accurately following the sequence you apply. The stepper which I brought for Rs.210 (unipolar) got a delay time of 4ms. If the time between two steps is less than 4ms then there will be some vibration inside the motor, but the motor will be rotating.

If you increase the delay b/w two steps, then you will get good torque

BIBIN JOHN
www.bibinjohn.tk