Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An Ideal Robotics Competition...

Default An Ideal Robotics Competition...

Hey People,

I've gotta arrange a robotics competition in my college soon myself....

Want your ideas on what an ideal robotics competition should be like...

New ideas or should I keep a tried and tested Micromouse or Firefighting Robot Competition ??

Do keep in mind practicability of the problem statement.... About 2 months between the poster & the competition...

Blog Entries

Default well

Make the competitors use there brain and not some stupid competition like

RC / line follow / jump off a cliff .... too dumb

micro mouse and firefighting robot is a good idea is a good idea if you are low on time like you said .

Is two months too short for a robotics problem.... ?

How about robosoccer guys ?? Anybody seen http://www.robocup.org/02.html

What kind of skills does this stuff take ?? Possible in India ?

An IIT Kanpur team made it to RoboSoccer finals a few years back...

Blog Entries

Default well

robot soccer is good idea but to achive such a feat from scratch iqn 2 months require quite some previous experience with well lots of thing like image rec , control ,wireless ,path planning etc etc to name a few .

Default Robosoccer & BEAM

I think I've got it... what do you think about a BEAM robotics (www.solarbotics.com) competition ?? Frankly I'm sick of robotics on 4 wheels.... Either we come up with some good industry (etc) relevant problem... I'm sick of dirt-track races....

Hey Vikas.... why not get some enthu created for RoboSoccer kind of long term robotics projects ??

Senior Member T-1000

how abt a "no using wheels competition" ?
    only legs allowed..
    and don't make it a manual competition....
    ice
    //gerry

Blog Entries

Default on the same line :)

I was also thinking on the same lines ... Keep a legged robot race ( R/C or autonomus ) they run in straight line and fastest one wins

almost like in robo wars, which had legged bots racing

how bout rope climbing, if you're not bent on autonomous bots

something i havn't seen before is an amphibious bot race
    i think VJTI had some aqua bots competition, but i missed it

then ofcorse there is the simple ai competitions, like shape/colour matching

in NIRMAAN, my college's techfest tht happened last week, there were 3 different tracks. one was your standard path follower.
    the other two were obstacle courses

first one had your sand pits, suspension bridge, jump, barricade, etc. - all standard stuff

second one had obstacles like flags and bowling pins tht bots had to avoid, or score negative. they then had to break a wall of cardboard blocks, with ROBOTICS spelled out on them. these blocks had to be pushed in their correct position on a grid to spell out the name.

just to give you something to think of
    I am the Sorcerer

hey....
    great idea guys.... a no wheels racing would be great. keep 2 levels.
    level 1: manual racing
    level 2: autonomous

well.... there should be small pits etc in the path. u can also put unknown obstacles in the path. for the autonomous one.

for the manual one make the path difficult .... so that the legged machine may loose its balance. there sud be difficult climbs n the machine may be required to jump also..

well, first tell which college u r from. anyway, send an invitation to NIT Jalandhar also. there some people are interested in such events.
    2 months is a short duration. anyway, best of luck for your event.
    Subhasis Behera
    http://subhasis6.tripod.com
    If you are not living on the EDGE, then you are wasting space...

Hi daaBRAT,
    you have not mentioned whether u r aiming the robot competition for mechanical engg students or electronics engg students. if it is for mechanical engg students u can include mechanically complex but brainless robot specification. if u r aiming at electronics students u can give simple robot with powerful brain.
    you can try some application that might be useful for common use, say like dirt cleaning robot or mopper which cleans the given area in shortest time. line following is too simple. may be we can play single robot per team robo soccer with some special ball which has IR light emitter built into it. the robots can have ir sensors and find out where the ball is. the play field can marked into different zones so as to guide where the goal post is. this concept includes the line following concept as the robot has to scan the ground for some lines to find its position on the field. if you r interested let me know and i will try to get detailed specification.

regards
    -subot_robot