Thread: New Robot Kit - Questions *Imp*

Blog Entries

Default New Robot Kit - Questions *Imp*

Few days back i had seen one of my friends bot which i found quite interesting and adviced him that he can make some money out of it while helping a lot of people. So after configuring his bot for more of a General purpose platform he is planning to enter the indian market in collaboration with RI / MIGI .

Here is the basic config of the main Board which can also be used as a dev board

PIC 16f877 based
    UART
    One Pair of RF modules
    Three pair of IR modules for object avoidance and Communication
    3 IR LED Detector
    2 Metal Bunp sensors
    1 Piezo Speaker
    2 CDS Light sensors
    Dual power supply for Motors and uC
    1 HBridge Driver with soft PWM
    A Breadboard is mounted on the PCB for additional experimentation
    A few LED's , Restistor, Caps , Coloured wires and screws to have fun around with and hasall IO lines open for extension

The robot base on which the base board is mounted using screws

1 Metal chassie for mounting everything
    2 Good quality DC Geared motors
    2 Wheels with optical feed back for dead recknoning

S/W side

Custom IDE with custom BASIC interprettur for starters with built in Burn functionality .You can also reporogram it like a normal PIC.

He says you can build the following bots easily with this one

Bump Bot
    Obstcale Avoiding robot
    Line follower
    Light follower
    Fire Fighting
    Remote controlled Bot ( IR / RF )

And for the advanced thing you can do the following

SWARM Robotics , Maze solving , Balancing Bot( Gyro addon required ) ,Path finder , ROV bot , Remotely programmable bot

According to him it takes 1/2 an hour from opening the package to get it running around.The config is aimed at people who dont know robotics and have never touched electronics. The aim is to provide a bot for starters to intermediate bot builders. It will provide everything that a normal guy will ever want to build into a normal bot, And he can build bot with minimal hassel. And as its more of a dev board on wheels there is no limit to what you can achive.

So now my question ?

Q1. What more improvements can he put in ?
    Q2. How much will you shell out to but it ?
    [/b]
    Vikas Patial

Blog Entries

Default ReadyRobo

Hi Vikas!
    Good attempt and a good assembly of the works in a single hamper! I must congratulate the maker and the finder!!

I did a quick calc. and feel, in my personal opinion, anything from Rs.2499/- ( with Labour, Brain, as charity ) to Rs.4999/- ( can keep the Wolf at bay!!) should be a non-commercial costing.

The 2500 is a magic figure and should be affordable by 20% of the people who are 'dying' to make a robo.

Ofcourse, there will be detractors who will cry "expensive" and go ahead spending more than this by themselves, with unpredictable results.

I say, Go :!: javascript:emoticon(':!:')

-have you done something with the php sw?-
    docel
    ^Anything is possible..
    after YOU prove it!!

http://bangalorerobotics.tripod.com

Blog Entries

Hi

Yep the Aim is to bring is b/w 2k -> 4k. I also searched around the net for such kits and found them quite expensive ( about 200 $ on an avg ) so around 10k in India, So i said if he can bring it out itll be a great in both price and performance. Also itll be good for the community as u might end up spending more on a uC based Simple LFR if ur in-experencied.

have you done something with the php sw
    Yep im a expert in PHP and other LAMP technologies and have done lots of work. I also offer consultancy services in it too.

Vikas
    Vikas Patial

What does the bot use for the rf communication? Those normal 433MHz rf RX/TX modules or something more interesting? Is the communication 2 way or ony computer to bot?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Supario
    Those normal 433MHz rf RX/TX modules or
    Can't be anything else. Anything more "interesting" will involve unnecessary software and port pins. This will complicate the beginners learning curve.

The "Pair of" means a Tx and an Rx. You can connect anything anywhere- PC to Robo or Vice versa.
    docel
    ^Anything is possible..
    after YOU prove it!!

http://bangalorerobotics.tripod.com

Blog Entries

It contains a single pair RX/TX of i think 4.8k data transfer rate , Its single way communication which is enough for a beginner / intermediate user.

But if someone like a college / group of people buys more than 1 bot then you can easily build a transciever or build advanced things like a swarm etc.
    Vikas Patial

Perhaps adding a sonar range finder would prove to be useful. It would free up the IR for communication use and extend the number of things that can be done with the robot. I dont think it would be too expensive either, probably about Rs 200 extra or so.

Blog Entries

Sonar is a nice idea - Ill pass on the idea to this guy.
    Vikas Patial