Thread: Word Artificial ???

Default Word Artificial ???

Hi All,

Wanted hve ur view about a statement that came during one of the discussion I recently had in my office about AI (during lunch hr.. :-) ).

Discussion started with Hollywood blockbuster - 'AI' and after some time I was arguing with others with my comment that the word 'Artificial' in AI is a misnomer. My supportive comment was that if machine intelligence is successful then there is no meaning of artificial in that.

Am not sure about correctness of my comment hence wanted to have a collective view on the statement..

'Is word Artificial in AI a misnomer ?'

Open for debate ...

Regards,

Well I dont think it is a misnomer , to clear your doubt let me take an example ..... If you put in natural extract for flavour in food stuffs you call it as natural flavour and when you put in chemicals to create the same flavour you call it artificial flavour. Same is the case with indigo, there are two types of Indigo one like Robin Blue or Ujjala which are artificially amde form chemicals and others were cultivated long time ago.

So the essence is that something which is natural i.e. made by God in that way, we call it the original and any attempt to recreate that thing from other stuffs is artificial.

And machines by default are not intelligent, it is a property found naturally only in living beings hence the name "Artificial".....

What do you say ? :?:
    The only difference between dreams and accomplishments is purely desire!

Hi Dev,

That was exactly the comment from my collegues.

Now my say is that, considering that machines learns [ not sure how far is that possible (just a guess from my side) : TuringMachine test proved machine can't think]. Let us say learning as a part of imitating others action and assigning/indexing it to the situation in hand.

*** Google for 'The Turing Test' ******

Wht everyone does ? Just learn and assign it to situation u encountered in ur life and call it as experience.

Some people learn faster bcoz they get the knowledge base faster than other unprevilaged people. Now how each one of them absorbs the knowledge may be the build up/background..

A poor student looks for money oriented job, hence is in a different state of being..
    A rich student looks for work that is more powerful, and he may live/operate in different state of being.

Not sure but more we think more complicated it becomes.

Regards,

Blog Entries

According to me intelligence in machines is related to randomness in response and behaviour.. Randomness is the only thing that seperates us from machines.. what we are going to do, say , think can never be predicted whereas a machine works on series of instructions programmed into it by the programmer.

No human is born with all knowledge.. All organisms are born with the basic program in their brains.. the program of survival which includes learning, eating, resting and stuff that we do to learn. This is what gave rise to AI e.g. neural networks, Unsupervised learning where the machine makes mistakes and finally learns the best possible way to do a task.

Artificial is not a misnomer as we, with our somewhat understanding of intelligence are trying to implement it to our level best and hence cannot recreate the exact same product as in the case of all other thing artificial. Nature rocks but please dont switch to herbal tea (honest advice, believe me)

Rao

This is what gave rise to AI e.g. neural networks, Unsupervised learning where the machine makes mistakes and finally learns the best possible way to do a task.
    Let us say if Unsupervised learning is so successful that a machine learns on its own just like other do. If that is true and say we hv abandoned a bot in a forest and say it is capable of learning [ keeping survival as its final goal ] then its new behavior can't be predicted by anybody.
    And according to me the newly acquired behavior is not taught by human and hence isn't Artificial.

Nature rocks but please dont switch to herbal tea (honest advice, believe me)
    Sorry Rao, I couldn't get what u meant :-(
    Only thing I inferred here is that its not good to switch to herbal tea :-)

Regards,

Junior Member Newbie

well as far as the word artificial is concern
    let it be this way if it is not artificial it is natural which i am sure u would agree comes form natural evolution that is what is termed as natural
    as far as the machines are concerned it is we who programme it so that
    it applies the ***artificially programmed brain*** to do things also it can only do one thing not the other it is not programmed for.... :wink:

Thanks to all of you for giving ur opinion...

Out of 5 people..
    3 ppl are against the statement..
    1 Person stands neutral.
    1 person is for the statement.

Thanks again to all of u for participating in this mini opinion poll..

Regards,

Blog Entries

Default More than just a word....

Hi Kiran!
    I somehow feel there is more to the word 'artificial' that you referred to. Probably you are trying to say and and mean something else about intelligence in a comparative role between the human and the machine....
    You might probably have used 'artificial ' just as a context.

Am I right?

...and something to muse about...
    http://www.hobbytron.com/V2RobosapienRobotWowWee.html

for just 10000 bucks,
    with built in AI!!!
    docel
    ^Anything is possible..
    after YOU prove it!!

http://bangalorerobotics.tripod.com

Right Doc,
    Emphasis is more on the intelligence...