Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: automatic path planning for WMRs

Default automatic path planning for WMRs

hi,
    did anyone work on any automatic path planning algoritim for Wheeled Mobile Robots(WMRs)???
    It may include, point to point tracking, obstacle avoidance, parking, and working with moving obstacles n moving targets etc. If anyone is interested in finding a new algorithim for one of the above problems, we can work together.
    Subhasis
    Subhasis Behera
    http://subhasis6.tripod.com
    If you are not living on the EDGE, then you are wasting space...

Default Path Planning

Hi i am also doing a project on similar project
    it is Automatic Navigation of a vehicle on a predetermined Track
    I am interested in working with you. waiting 4 ur reply

Default Updates on Path Planning?

Hi I also started working on something similar. Any leads on the path planning logic?

For my project i have make my bot to travel between any two points of many points. Please share your findings.

Thank you.

Senior Member Cyborg

i think you dig a almost half a decade old post , may be these members are inactive now. You can put your bots documentation to give this thread a new life.
    Nikhil Chandra | Bangalore

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Default My idea for this project...

Hi Shashank, was searching the forum for any relevant projects and found this thread and posted here to avoid the topic being repeated...

K, here is what i have thought. The idea is not to confine the robot just to maze solving and obstacle less perfect paths but to get it into more real life situations.

Like in a house for example. My idea is to make the bot a combination of both line following and micro-mouse concepts. There will be a base station which will update the new co-ordinates to the bot and the bot has to acknowledge it back after receiving the new destination.

The bot processes for the shortest path and after reaching the destination would send out a reached signal to the base station.

I thought using stepper would be easier for this project. I am still thinking over the shortest-path algorithm... I have wikied for it and found many algorithms...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shortest_path_problem

So could someone tell me which is the best algorithm for this scenario?
    Thank you.

Blog Entries

Hmmm.... something is not clear here !

Path Planning- How can the 'Base station ' update the Robot of the destination ?
    docel
    ^Anything is possible..
    after YOU prove it!!

http://bangalorerobotics.tripod.com

Hi docel,

Hmm.. consider two environments where the robot is going to operate:

1)Simple: Not many rooms and no obstacles and only one robot:
    There would not be much to compute and since there is only one robot, the base station can calculate the least path and just control the bot like a remote-control

2)A bit complex: There will be many rooms, few obstacles which are moving (like people) and static and may be more than one robot to control in the area(right now i am assuming that we use only one robot).

There would be many calculations to be done and unknown factors (like moving obstacles) which the base station would not know of..so the base station just updates the robot of its destination through a wireless link and the mobile robot would do the math to get the least path and will wait if necessary for the obstacle to clear its path etc.. basically i wanted to shift the calculation part from the base station to mobile robot.

Waiting for your comment.

Blog Entries

....you missed my point , my dear!

case 1: How does the "base" know what to update the Robot with ??

case 2: How can the Robot calculate the 'least path' ??
    docel
    ^Anything is possible..
    after YOU prove it!!

Hi Docel,

Well here is what i thought of, the base station and the mobile robot will be pre-programmed with all the possible destination points and the shortest rout to reach the destination from the START POINT (that would be the base station).

Case1:The next destination point where the mobile bot should reach would be stored in a Que at the base station. The base station just sends the next address to the mobile bot through RF link.

Case2:The mobile bot should find the shortest distance to the next destination from the present destination. I need some algorithm like subtract the common path between the two destinations and should travel along the calculated path.

Well this is just an idea, there probably is even a simpler and better way to do all this..please put in your thoughts.

Blog Entries

You have just made it all even more confused. My earlier questions still stand unclarified.

If you are not sure of what exactly has to be done, you cannot think of a solution, least of all algorithms.

The way i look at it - this idea simply cannot work. Not in the present way of your thinking. I think you have something in mind but have not been able to express it properly.

I suggest that you sit down and make a clear plan of the roles of both the Robot and the Base. The beginning is to address my queries and find the answer to them.
    Then start a new thread. This thread is being torn to pieces
    docel
    ^Anything is possible..
    after YOU prove it!!