Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Working of joystick

Junior Member User

Default Working of joystick

I wanted to know how to find the circuit and the components of a joystick. Is it possible to drive a car using a joystick instead of a a steering wheel. Then it would have the throttle control and direction control on your joystick.

Blog Entries

what kind of joystick are we looking at here ?
    Vikas Patial

Senior Member Cyborg

Default Atari joystick

Well,

Once i had hacked joystick of my old Atari look alike video game,
    it had a very simple circuit in fact there was no circuit it has 4 contacts for each direction and another two for action button. to be more specific it has one contact metal strip at center and four other for Fwd,back,left, Right move on it circumference when stick was bend to left its contact strip make contact (close switch) with center strip while other not made any (open switch).

Of course this is very old technology ( i had brought that 15 years ago), and now latest sticks are more techie may be using some encoding but i think the basic idea behind is same as old one and we can design on our own ......

Is it possible to drive a car using a joystick instead of a steering wheel.
    it has been once featured on junkyard wars(ya that was simple RF remote toggle but can be use with stick design also), and once i had also saw this on BBC as a national competition in Britain. In making this kind of system, designing of servo mechanism is more important then decision of using joystick or simple toggle keys….

The modern joysticks have pots as the position feedback and switches. If u r familiar with microcontrollers you can take the potentiometer input to adc, and switches to normal io pins.

Once you get the inputs accordingly you can program the outputs.

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/joystick1.htm

Check out the next pages...good info of various types of joysticks!

Junior Member User

People you all have focussed on the first line of the question. Rather what i really wanted to know was that how would the joystick respond if i took it forward and there only i was trying to take it left or right. Let me elaborate. THe forward is for throttle. I want to give it some throttle, so i move it forward. Then i want it to be maneuvrable as well. So can i move it left or right even when i have the throttle at some value, i.e. the joystick moved forward.
    IN short, can i move the joystick at an angle other than the standard right angles.

Senior Member Cyborg

look i think this is purely designing part and is been implemented by many people and for ur project u only have to deal with it and if we give u complete working then where is ur part in this project.... :?:

well i can give u some hints look weather it works for u or not :idea:

why u use forward for throttle ???
    you should use (i suppose u are talking about full scale car or atleast minature IC engine type)
    ---action button of joystick for throttle
    ---forward bend for aligning the wheel in forward direction
    ---left bend for making wheel align for left side
    ---right bend for making wheel align for right side
    ---and backward bend for making reverse gear
    by this arrangement u have to bend the forward first to align the wheel for forward and push action button (for acceleration) and then u can bend along to side ways for particular alignment but here u hav to do some logic designing (hints: basically AND, OR logic type of programming ) for completely implement this .....

and there are joysticks available but very rare which can bend other than 90 degree

If u r able to measure the resistance through your throttle pot. then yes, you can get any angle in 0 to 180 degrees.

The best way is to use ADC throught the pot to vary voltage from 0-5 v

Senior Member T-1000
    Blog Entries

what kind of drive are you having?? is it differential?
    or do you want to drive the standard ackermann one?
    .... I didnt do it ! ....

Junior Member User

the car is supposed to be rear wheel drive and will have differentials...