Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why only students ?

Blog Entries

Default Why only students ?

I was just thinking that RoboticsIndia has been on the Robotics map of India for more than over 3 years, With more than 3 Million page views and 4k users ... its almost known to everyone in India who is into robotics and has used the web.

But strangely people here are 99 % students (which ought to be), But very few who have passed out and only one Prof ( Docel ).

So i was thinking it looks like almost no one does anything after college .... other than his lame job.
    And what about the teachers and Professors who are supposed to guide us they are missing from the scene ... are they too old to use the internet or too proud to mix with the students( As if they have set new benchmark's ).

What do you think guys ? And if you got any ideas for us to help reach them .... do mention them.

PS: Plz don't talk about our 95% Dumb faculty as we all know about it, and they dont count or will count anyway .Teachers don't take offence ... but reality Bites.
    Vikas Patial

Senior Member T-1000
    Blog Entries

not strange..

i took robotics seriously after college.
    basically because i dont work for anyone, and i have time to do what i want. and my income (yes, its a fluctuating one.. doesnt come every month first week) comes from that...

as for others, people get placements before their final sem, get into the job soon after college, burn the night for the company. They dont have much time for personal hobbies.

So, even if there is interest, unless their job has something to do with R&D or some firmware, people dont have to be here, or dont have the time..

Or, there should be the burning desire... if they have it, they will be here.

Pretty obvious. a poll on this would be interesting.
    .... I didnt do it ! ....

One reason maybe that there aren't many "OPEN" robotics competitions...

So only those really passionate(and with time) can pursue it...

I seriously think there ought to be more "open for all" competitions. Maybe something like IIT's having an open category for a competition like Micromouse.

That might just motivate people to get back. Plus will make the competition scenario much more interesting and competitive.

Right now there is a real need for such competitions or exhibitions!

Blog Entries

You will be surprised how many ex-students-Woring class-non-technical guys REALLY want to do something in ROBOTICS!!!

All they need is an open Invitation.....and a platform!!!

Now, Who has ever given these poor guys any chance???

They have enough free time.....in the weekends. I see a lot of these loaded and dissatisfied/disgruntled/bored people running away to resorts, Trecking, Adv. Sports and other 'physical' outings, and come back only partially sated!!

I have planned an Event for these 'forgotten' kids, in April' 07.......
    docel
    ^Anything is possible..
    after YOU prove it!!

http://bangalorerobotics.tripod.com

Senior Member Cyborg

ya this the big picture most of the Indians are rat racer, they follow each other, most of us are reluctant to do off the league jobs, and does not think there hobby as there earning source, this why some people when get into a college follow seniors and get there hands on robotics and after getting out of the college to found that it was just a time pass.... (plz take notice : i not mentioning genuine hobbyists)

this is way people left themselves to do lame jobs, most problematic situation was that people had sated hobbies like robotics not at very early age and this due to lack of resources, guiding helps, and common group, (i remember for designing some of my first robos i only rely on Discovery channel for ideas...)
    but now I can see the situation is changing very rapidly now we can get most of the components, there are guides and common groups for robotics. so i can believe if from our generation there is 1 person out of 1000 hobbyists who turn into professional (robotics), then in following generations we can see at lest 1 in 100....

now i am facing the same problem of 'forgetting’ and a rat racer, i am in final year and been recruited by software company and i fear how long i can take this hobby of 8 years....

i had made a game plan for it after analyzing the situation:-

there is no other option for me other then getting into the company, and most people put down there hobbies is because of time constraints of the paying job,
    and in robotics i think most time consuming process or can not be done part-time is designing of superstructure and building the hardware (electronics & mechanical part).... so for now i am just working on design and hardware part and building platforms and other most important parts of some robots and not doing much of the programming and control part, i believe it will take another 6 most to complete the whole of hardware process and the programming part will occupy me for at least an another 2 years of weekend time and by then i will in postion to support my hobby ....

i hope this will work for me!!

And if you got any ideas for us to help reach them .... do mention them.
    i don’t think they will be ready for any regular postings if u invite them specially because of same proud feeling ,atmost u can do is to ask them for special monthly articles like thing (can hope then they will do regular posting in forums also ),

Though a bit off topic....but even though there are 4k+ members hardly a few of them are REGULAR posters...I dont have the stats but i dont think the posts per site hits ratio will be too high....

I just feel that there might be a lot of people with good material to post onto the site...but something is stopping them (dont know what that is though!)

Any given time there are atleast 50+ people online but hardly anyone in the chat rooms...

I guess its the same elsewhere too...

Blog Entries

PPPPking!
    YOur observation is correct.
    1. The 4000+ are 'in-transit' members.
    2. They are here just for the period of their projects.
    3. Once they pick brains and gather all the information needed, they disappear without even a thank you!!
    4. A lot of students dont have Internet. They post from their college machines osmetime and fail to get back. Some of them get back after a month or so, by which time their 'post" will be lost somewhere. They dont know where or how to retrieve them.
    5. There are a lot of 'Surfing researchers', just to learn more. These are 'theoretical' guys who wont do anything practically but simply search search and search.
    6. Most who post want ready solutions from someone else.
    7. Some of them are not too sure of what they want and ask funny questions, without any basic work or thought from their side. They get "bitten" by guys like me and become "people on-line".
    8. It is only the hard working, practical, innovative and enthusiastic learners that stay put. Even they disappear after sometime, due to lack of time and personal interest.

The Posts are just the desperate needs of a few who are really PRACTICAL. Unfortunately, they move on from Student to Worker and thats the end fo the Forum for them.

This is Universal and true of a lot of Student Forums, as I have seen it.
    Take the KEIL forums: students ask and disappear forever. The "biting " is also too severe, such that only serious minded will post, ignore or acknowledge the biting, correct and stay .....and disappear forever after some time!!!
    :cry: :?: :?:
    docel
    ^Anything is possible..
    after YOU prove it!!

you are right.

Actually i wanted to build a Robo car, so I was searching for some nice websites where i can get sufficient information about robotics.

I found this site, and what i found is most of the members are only students, that too, who are doing their project.

If teachers and professors would join this site and share there knowledge it would be very great and many robotics enthusiats can learn a lot here and it would make this site more successfull.

Many people have creative ideas but due time constraints they don't come out and cannot implement their ideas.

I thought of doing Robo car some 3 months back, but due to busy schedule i am unable to spend time for it as i am working(in embedded company), just now i completed software part and now i am designing hardware part and I think more than 6 months to complete it.

But I am sure i will complete it successfully.
    "Man would not have attained the possible unless time and again he had reached out for the impossible" - Max Weber

Blog Entries

:LOL:

I would like to know the names and numbers of the FACULTY who have ever in their life built a robot car or a micromouse...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I know a lot of professors.. PHDs.. just papers and words.. ask them a practical problem and they will get back to you.. NOT!

According to me.. if a guy has worked (as in , made robots) for more years than me (or gained experience through hands on implementation) I have no issues asking the person for help even if he is way younger than me.. and I will prefer his solution to a problem rather than consulting some big shot professor

Rao

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rao
    :LOL:

...of the FACULTY who have ever in their life built a robot car or a micromouse...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I know a lot of professors.. PHDs.. just papers and words.. ask them a practical problem and they will get back to you.. NOT!

asking the person for help even if he is way younger than me.. and I will prefer his solution to a problem rather than consulting some big shot professor

Rao
    :wink:
    docel
    ^Anything is possible..
    after YOU prove it!!