Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why only students ?

Member Android

Hi people..
    I will answer the topic in points..
    1. Robotics is not a students only job.. and offending the Faculties every time.. I don't thing we are doing a gr8 job.. many of my friends are faculties and I know how much they prepare themselves for taking classes.. I respect them

2. In may of my posts I have already told.. I never understood why a complete robo project is called a robotics project.. For example I am a software professional and I am good at some thing.. You develop some parts .. I will contribute some .. Why every one should understand what is a stepper motor driver? Or every one should start with LFR? It is also a project like any other projects in corporate.. and in a protocol stack Layer 2 engineer does not understand what happens in Layer 7..

3. Honestly speaking I don’t know the meaning of robo( if any one can give me a definition then will be glad). As per me it is also one (more with proper sync) embedded intelligent device(s), programmed to do some task, or may take some decisions.

If I am thinking of working, promoting Robotics.. then with the existing way of RI, I will do take one more initiative to bring more people into this project (just a suggestion.. RI may think about it)

a. I will publish a problem statement
    b. With all we will discus about the detailed requirement
    c. Will ask people to give suggestion on how and what can be done
    d. By this time I think I can expect people interested on different aspects of robo making will publish there solutions or contribute to the project
    e. Every one will try to see that their part is the best so they will try their level best to research and provide solution
    f. Some people who want to make their own robo.. with the help of other will work and see that their robo works
    g. People who are quite busy ( you can not expect them to come back to a student’s life) and don’t want to spend their time on all aspects of robotics.. will be happy seeing that their part of solution, code, algorithm, advices ( for example in selecting components), or contribution is working fine..
    h. People who could not contribute will learn from this analysis and will surely learn some thing..
    i. At last Robotics India will have a complete project posted in the site .. and some kind moderator may consolidate the posts and may submit a report ..
    j. Today we see that 99% people are silent but with this type of approach I believe we can say at least 5% people have contributed.

By the way I have only made one Robo till now .. a LFR at Docel’s workshop. But I must thank RI that many times some or other discussions from RI has helped me to solve many of my projects which has no relation with robotics. ( Thats why I never posted back about those .. for RI those are Off topic, For ex my recent wireless shooting target changer)

http://www.indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?t=721
    pics at http://flickr.com/photos/mishradk/

( the above links are provided not because i have done a gr8 job .. but just to protect myself being called as ..

5. There are a lot of 'Surfing researchers', just to learn more. These are 'theoretical' guys who wont do anything practically but simply search search and search.
    Thank you again.

According to me.. if a guy has worked (as in , made robots) for more years than me (or gained experience through hands on implementation) I have no issues asking the person for help even if he is way younger than me.. and I will prefer his solution to a problem rather than consulting some big shot professor
    Hey Rao.. Ideally you should respect or listen to those people who have a valid solution, analysis .. whether he is a professor, PhD, he has more exp than you or not.. or he has ever worked in robotics or not .. should not matter much to you.

Robotics deals will human life.. and I think any one can think a bit about it if he/ she has interest.

Never mind.. just came to my mind so I expressed..

Mishradk

Blog Entries

Hi Mishraji!! Long time no see!!!
    You have an excellent idea! I would like and will support that effort.

Regarding the other points:
    1. There is no offense but just a blatant view of the true facts. The observations are, to be truthful, what is and can be seen world wide. Noone is damning the true teacher. It is the non teaching teacher who is being pointed at.
    There are plenty of teachers who are True teachers. These sre the kind who remain in the background and are lost to the common man. We salute their contribution to their students growth and advancement.

2. Robotics is a science. What is now in context is not a Company with several hundred paid employees doing a job for profit. A Company does research or Production. The job is split into parts for better output. A company reaps maximum profit in the minimum time through " frog in a Well" employees who do the same, limited thing over and over automatically, without any idea of where it came from, where it goes and wht it is. This is the Efficiency Methodology of any industry production line-up. This also breeds and reeks of dependancy on other departments for the smooth production outputs. The Quality assurance expert does only Quality check without knowledge of what he is doing. ( Most places, he is not even an Engineer, but still does a fantastic job).
    It is Robotics as a Technical hobby that one does for his or her personal benefits and interest, without recourse to heavy financial outlay, dependancy on others for a specific job, self sufficient and knowledgeable to do everything oneself. This will bring about an idea as a working project on the table in the minimum time possible with a maximum cost savings.
    A Hobbyist is a One Man Company. This he becomes and does due to his personaL interest and passion.
    Is there anything wrong in being so knowledgeable, to be capable of several fields of science?? To be self-sufficient and not dependant on , lets say, many others for a simple Line-folower or a Micromouse?
    It is not easy to get a job done with the participation of several people with specific interests. Practixcally and in reality, it is a nightmare!

Robotics, as this Forum stands for is purely on the personal front.

3. You have a wonderful idea here. Please put it in place soon. But the idea will be defeated if proper moderation is not done. Usually , in most forums, the one who starts a Thread is responsible for its moderation, content, direction, context, discipline and conclusion. This is over seen by the Forum Moderators and the Administrator on a heirarchical ascension. They will monitor and correct any deviations of the thread content according to the Forum rules and directives.
    This should be quite interesting!! and my best wishes to you!!

Now for some biting:
    That was a great job done , according to both your links- Congrtas!!
    Now, What makes you think it is 'off topic' ?? 8O
    Arent you 'selfish' in not sharing your success in ATMEGA, IR, RF, DC motor, Stepper drive, Ranging, etc., etc,.
    People are struggling with problems in these areas here. :cry: This is what i said in the earlier lines and post. Arent you contradicting yourself?

RAO has said the same thing that you find fault with: Those who do , dont talk, Those who talk havent done....!
    You are not a Professor. You are not a Student. You are not a corporate entity with production. You have still achieved something but have failed to either acknowledge, share or even mention , till now!!
    This is what PPPPKING has mentioned about too....in his post!! :lol: :twisted:

Can you please change this? And share the details of your projects???? :wink:
    You never know who might benefit, the same as you have :!:

"Those who help others will comment on those who don't" -Akib Mikolev.
    docel
    ^Anything is possible..
    after YOU prove it!!

http://bangalorerobotics.tripod.com

Blog Entries

whoa you have a gun.. no more arguments with you :P

Thats some good work dude!!

Rao

Senior Member T-1000
    Blog Entries

hi mishra...

its been a long time...
    that was one good stuff you made.. should have posted here long before..

i dont believe robotics is all about a humanoid or a wheeled one moving around... so let not confine the topics to a narrow line..

and do post the problem statement.. thats one good way to interact and learn..

and why not have a something like "challenge of the month"???
    the readers can evaluate and rate the solutions...We will have a winner every month.....
    like code challenge, design challenge etc etc
    .... I didnt do it ! ....

Blog Entries

tried that already...

no one posts

Member Android

hey allbits..
    I was quite usy with my office project and shooting..
    ya your ideas are gr8 but every month will be a problem for many people ..
    we should give time for new people also to think and come with some comment.

Rao bhai.. my rifle only punches hole on paper.. so dont worry.. and pointing at my first guru from RI.. ( have you forgotten about that..) :wink:

docel..
    my god .. such a big post.. sorry .. i could not post about my target trap project because I was so excited that I had no time to think about any thing else ..
    ya most of the things i did are copy paste from RI people's idea only .. you know how mych I know about electronics.. just managed to make it work.. i will put details soon. Hope you dont mind..

But docel I am confused why you say "Robotics is a hobby"

I remember our International shooting coach Mr Laszlo asking one question to every one..
    Is this shooting a hobby for you ?

He always says " Take this as a challenge to win.. "

People may start robotics as a hobby, but I feel Robotics is a big challenge and we must win..

If we think it is a hobby .. we will be happy with some small achievements..

regards
    Mishradk

Blog Entries

Well....
    The Micromouse is a Hobby project. So is the LFR. Both are as challenging as they come. And done by Schoolkids....!
    I got some quotes from a few reputed Embedded Systems Co. for Micromouse Programming.
    The final cost was 10 Lakhs ( discounted for Educational purpose){does not include testing etc.,}
    The time frame was 2 years.
    There were no guarantees.

Robotics is a science of research, experimentation, implementation and production of Robots. It is a wholly Industrial indulgence.

Not anymore. Sony, Honda, changed all that. Aibo and Asimo was the culmination of all this. They brought RObots out of the Industrial Domain and into the kitchen. They transformed the RObot into a Toy and put them on the streets. Now, everybody is into Robotics. The major part of todays Research is done by Students and not industries. The industry is collaborating with Universities and buying technology from students. Manos is $20,000/- and is the product of several hundred students.
    Sony and Hionda are behind hundreds of their sponsored students, who have contributed to the patents fro Aibo and Asimo.
    The domain of research has shifted from Industry to Academy. Nasa spends billions on student research which is taken up by Research establishments who convert them into industrial products for the Industry. There are thousands of Patents and Intellectual rights taken out by people in there 20s.
    ........??!!

A Hobbyist is Not satisfied with SMALL achievements :!:
    docel
    ^Anything is possible..
    after YOU prove it!!

Junior Member User

Default hi

if u r student, u can say directly this all to ur teachers.
    :lol:

Blog Entries

Kuldeep!!!
    NO student will ever SAY anything To their teachers :!: :!:
    Nor will the Teachers accept , if done so.
    The initiative and the burden lies squarely on the Students. If I should say so, it is the Students Aptitude, Career an dtheir Future , on a personal front, that is at stake :!: :!:
    It will result in victimisation and frustration .....
    I am NOT a student.
    I am just another Teacher who believes in the Students interest !

( this is relevant only if your ( dcekuldeep ) post was for me.
    docel
    ^Anything is possible..
    after YOU prove it!!

Junior Member Newbie

Default Re: Why only students ?

Quote Originally Posted by vikas
    I was just thinking that RoboticsIndia has been on the Robotics map of India for more than over 3 years, With more than 3 Million page views and 4k users ... its almost known to everyone in India who is into robotics and has used the web.

But strangely people here are 99 % students (which ought to be), But very few who have passed out and only one Prof ( Docel ).

So i was thinking it looks like almost no one does anything after college .... other than his lame job.
    And what about the teachers and Professors who are supposed to guide us they are missing from the scene ... are they too old to use the internet or too proud to mix with the students( As if they have set new benchmark's
    I think that may be because students have deep interest for Robots like things , they feel its exciting but when they get into Industry they are too busy in their project work that they don't have extra time for such things. Also many engineers know that Robotic industry is very small especially in India thats why their interest declines as only thing they can do is make robots for their fun but have little chance of working in this field unless they start up their own work.

As far as college faculty is concerned , they also know that most of colleges have no or very little financial aid to do anything and most college don't even have mechatronics subjects.