Thread: Cooling System

Hybrid View

Default Cooling System

Dear All,
    Hi!
    I am a new guy in this circuit and don't know the first thingy about these stuff.
    I am trying to build an LCD Projector with a stripped down LCD panel and a Metal halide back light. My big issue here is that I am planning to throw in a 1000W Lamp which will most definitely generate a LOT of heat.
    Given the tight enclosure needed to prevent light leakage and max. operating temp of LCD Panels being in the range of 40 Celcius, I need a killer cooling system.
    I am looking out for some low noise high cfm fans, but had no luck so far.
    I earnestly request your help as you people are into this for quite some time and I feel are very amicable.

I will really appreciate help in the following :-

1. What kind of fans would meet my needs in terms of low noise and high air displacement?
    2. Where in bangalore I can buy such fans?
    3. Is there a possibility to find a thermal control system in India, like something which can activate/ step up my fans given the temparature at predefined points?

Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries

This is "off FOrum"
    Still....build a closed system, use 2 fans: 1 DC centrifugal fan at the input so that the air hits the Hopt Chips and PC SMPS fan at the exhaust.
    docel
    ^Anything is possible..
    after YOU prove it!!

http://bangalorerobotics.tripod.com

Senior Member T-1000

I don't think you will be able to keep ambient temperature in an enclosure at 30C (<<40C) with a 1kW lamp in the vicinity, using just fans.

You'll need something like a thermoelectric (Peltier) module for 'forced' cooling the air that is blown onto the lamp. These are used in car fridges and also, for processor cooling in high end PCs and servers. They are simple to use and can be powered by a PC power supply easily. An on-off type of temperature controller will be good enough (like a capillary thermostat).

Let me know how your project goes...
    Mohit Mahajan.
    www.biozen.co.in

Blog Entries

off topic ...
    For cooling i dont have more recomendations.

My advice ... buy a projector - they are quite cheap now. And itll be way better than the monster which ull end up building using a stripped LCD panel.

I also had similar plans but after reading some horror stories of broken LCD panels , noise levels etc i dropped the Idea. Also its not that cheap after all best case scenario ull build on in Rs 15000 , u can get a simple SVGA projector for Rs 27000.

I have a XGA DLP projector now , and its worth every rupee sent .
    Vikas Patial