Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Detection of obstacles by infrared

Default Detection of obstacles by infrared

I have to detect an wooden obstacle placed at a distance of 5 to 12 cm from my robot. I have made a circuit using 555 timer as astable multivibrator with Ra=1K, Rb=18k and C=0.001microfarad to generate a frequency of 38KHz for ir ked and tsop1738 as ir receiver. But still I failed to get a desired output. Please help me with an working circuit diagram.Please also tell me about the placement of ir led and detector for the detection.

Blog Entries

Have you read the Data sheets??
    Tsop's dont work with continuous signals!
    docel
    ^Anything is possible..
    after YOU prove it!!

http://bangalorerobotics.tripod.com

Also, with 555 timers always check on oscilloscope the frequency you are getting.

Most probably, the designed frequency won't match with the actual frequency. Use a pot to adjust the frequency to 38k and then use the required resistor (use less tolerance components).

Better still use a microcontroller (if possible) to generate the frequency. Will help with the bursts as well.

Default Continuous signals

Dear docel

Please explain me what is the meaning of continuous signals.I mean how do I get "burst" signals(what is the circuit) I do not know much about the working of the tsop. And please give me a diagram of an working circuit to try my hands on.

Docel,

I got some Vishay TSOP1738 and some Chinese made cheaper versions of the TSOP. While the Vishay module seems to need the "burst"s, the Chinese versions respond fine to a continuous 38kHz square wave. I decided to go with the Chinese ones as
    • * They are cheaper
      * It is easier to generate a continuous square wave rather then a wave with bursts

Yes I do realise that I am rendering myself susceptible to interference from some lighting sources and sunlight . It is a trade off.

A

Docel,

I have a further question. Given that the TSOP does not respond to continuous signals, Why do a lot of people design TSOP based proximity detectors where the emitter is driven using a 555 based Oscillator ?

I took one such circuit and tried to use it with a TSOP. The TSOP responds, but immediately goes back to dormant state. It is then that I actually read the data sheets ( ops: ) and realised that I needed to generate bursts.

What is the rationale behind using a 555 based osc to drive the TX ?

A

The other discussion is from 2005! I should do more thorough searching before posting. Thanks King.

Blog Entries

Thats agood question Arcane, and thanks Pratap for remembering that post

Now, all data Specs regarding the TSOP holds good ONLY for 17XX family by Vishay/ Telefunken and other European and American Modules. The Chinese modules are not Direct equivalents but "functional " equivalents only and do not share the TSOP17xx specs. There are numbers like HRM380017 and behave weird...
    but - maybe they are desirable for the 555 non-burst scheme. :wink:

Another thing: The Circuit uses a BC107 NPN. This means the O/p is ON all the time until "IR detect" , remains on for some time till the base cap. discharges. The entire setup is for Pulse detection rather than any measurement or Data decoding (momentary). It is appropriate to use a PNP transistor for normal IR Detect= O/P ON.
    docel
    ^Anything is possible..
    after YOU prove it!!

http://bangalorerobotics.tripod.com

Mamadshah

Default Perfect! Try this sites:

edited