Thread: 16-bit ADC, DAC and 16Mhz Isolator Required

Member Android

Default 16-bit ADC, DAC and 16Mhz Isolator Required

I need a 16-bit ADC, 16-bit DAC and an isolator with operating frequency of atleast 16 Mhz. Through parametric search on various sites I have shortlisted some components but these are either not available locally or are expensive.

The ADC and DAC should have SPI interface.

Please suggest the ICs I should use. The ICs should preferably be common so that they cost less.

Senior Member T-1000

For the 16 bit ADC I can suggest Microchip parts. Alternatively, check out weighing machine spare parts. IIRC, the common digital balances use 22 bit ADCs. You can use just the 16 MSBs for your needs. I cannot suggest anything for the DAC and isolator.

I'm curious... what are you designing that needs operating frequencies of 16 MHz and 16 bit readouts?

Mohit Mahajan,
    www.biozen.co.in

Senior Member Cyborg

why dont you try samples from the companies i think you will get what you are searching that too very cheap but only difficulty will be of assembly which i think can be taken cure by hit and trial

there are many in samples program at TI you can check that out

Member Android

I have got an assignment of identifying components for building a voltage isolator.
    The device is supposed to produce voltage corresponding to an input voltage.
    For example - the user may choose the o/p voltage to be 1.3 times the input.

Input voltage is positive but not constant.
    Error should be under 0.01%
    Input and output have to be isolated.

Mohit, could you please specify the IC numbers? Are they available in India?

Since the device has to be manufactured on a larger scale, samples will not suffice.
    I know parts can be ordered online, but that would be the last alternative.
    The ICs should preferably be common so that they cost less and are available in local market. I don't want to use some odd part which would cost more.

Senior Member T-1000

Do you have the design of the isolator with you? I mean, are you sure you need 16 bits and 16 MHz operations? That frequency sounds way too high for a voltage isolator.

Anyway, the Microchip parts are here:
    http://tinyurl.com/2cbsjx

Unfortunately for you, as you increase the resolution, the kS/s figure goes down. >16 bits ADCs will be very slow (just a few tens/hundreds of samples per second).

To get Microchip parts in production quantities, you can either go to buy.microchip.com or ask this chap to import for you (lead times are typically 6-8 weeks). He also keeps a lot of Microchip parts in stock.

M/s. SILICON COMPONENTS PVT. LTD.,
    408, Kamlesh, ‘B’ Wing,
    Plot No 368, Sher-E-Punjab Society,
    Andheri (E), Mumbai – 400093.
    Tel: 022-28204419/28384417, Fax: 28217541

HTH,
    Mohit Mahajan,
    www.biozen.co.in

Member Android

Considering the accuracy required and accounting for error by ADC and DAC, 16 bit is the resolution it would need.

I am going to place the isolators on the SPI bus. Hence the high frequency. I'm planning to use iCouplers form Analog Devices. If anyone knows alternatives to these, please suggest.