Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom enclosers / laser cutting

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default Custom enclosers / laser cutting

Hi

I am looking to get some custom enclosures built for some electronic hardware that i have built. I want about 10 such boxes.

I am looking for professional looking boxes in metal or plastic. So any of you guys have any experience in such work or some refreces i can get in touch with ... it'll be really helpful.
    Vikas Patial

Senior Member Cyborg

well if i am not wrong the kit provide in TRI workshops have chassis made by laser cutting and some sort.....
    i am not sure as it is a second hand information to me

Is Bakelite moulding what you're looking for? A quick google will give you some links.

Start here?

http://www.indianyellowpages.com/ind...c_products.htm

Blog Entries

http://www.reicabinets.com/index1.html
    They have lots more than on the WebPage.

I thought Delhi was the center for all this :!: :!: :!:
    They're doling out stuff which makes you reject the Jap orig for duplicate.....
    docel
    ^Anything is possible..
    after YOU prove it!!

http://bangalorerobotics.tripod.com

One Question vikas: How much is ur budget?

If you are looking for molded pieces, then itz better to go with what you get in market (off the shelf kind). Getting those pieces customized is lot cheaper than getting a custom molded piece. IT can be a bit expensive specially for small no. where you cannot amortize the cost of making the mold on the no. of pieces required. Cost of making the mold itself can get to few 10k Rs.

Other option will be to use Acrylic sheets or aluminum. Acrylic sheets can be bent (but only simple curves. need some heat treatment) and cut easily. They can be glued using feviquick. Looks good but are not very sturdy.

Aluminum is better but will cost more than the acrylic sheets and is surely more durable then the acrylic.

I know of few areas where itz done in mumbai but am not aware of any in delhi. You may start looking in the areas where some sort of injection molding or metal work is done in delhi. Those are the areas where you will find someone to do this kind of work for 10 pieces.

Just my two cents

Blog Entries

Well my budget is about Rs 1 lakh .

I did try a few areas in delhi , Metal shops especially.

Metal work

Said 4 - 5 k for the metal die and then prices will be per kilo gram . Total will cost about 20 k.

Plastic

50 - 60 k for the die with 3 months of setting time , then itll be very cheap. Total will cost about 70 -80 k.

- We planned to go the metal way , with the total cost of production coming around 20 k. But the guys whom we had contacted backed out , for some odd reason. Now we are looking for new people ... so i though ill ask on Ri too.

Vikas
    Vikas Patial

I believe standard size enclosures (plastic or metal) should be easily available. I know they are on Lamington Road in Mumbai. :lol:

cheers
    nilesh

Hi Vikas,

Getting metal work done is cheaper but keep one thing in mind that it will not be as cool looking and lightweight as the plastic molds. Moverover if there are multiple plates to be screwed together then there will also be gaps etc. Aluminum molds are good for prototype units which you may want to give to the customer for trials while the final product is in production but not as enclosures for the final products.

From my past experience with getting this kind of work done, better follow up with the vendor. Such vendors are usually small metalshop owners and any bigger order for them will put ur order on the backseat.

Looking at ur budget, i guess you are eventually looking for more no.s also. In such cases imo getting plastic mold done is way better but make sure you get the molds done in such a way that you can reuse them later on. (cutting and drilling is much cheaper as compared to dimension changes).

hey shashak is right
    the iTRIx chasis are laser cut
    while the robotrix chasis are punched chasis

laser cuttin is quite a cheap option if u just need small quantities and give amazin precision.

Senior Member T-1000

Vikas,

Talk to Mr. Subash Deo at 022-56924624 of www.deocomtech.com. His company makes a few standard boxes both in sheet-metal and plastic. He also imports enclosures from China. He'll send you a catalog with the prices and the stock list of the enclosures. Some of these Chinese enclosures are pretty cool looking too...

HTH,
    Mohit Mahajan,
    www.biozen.co.in