Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Line follower robot

Senior Member T-1000

obviously you can make it using k maps...
    if you are using dc motors then there will be four control outputs.... name them y1, y2, y3, y4.
    then make a table with all inputs and outputs as yu want for those inputs.
    now just solve this using k maps.
    design tat simple logic gate and finish it off...
    no uc needed then....
    but its not at all a good idea... yu cannot modify the ckt and do new thngs in the same machine
    if u thought u r the only mad person on the planet.......u got serious competition here

Blog Entries

Hi Addy!!!
    Where were you ...for so long??
    Thanks for the K-Map rendering.....but
    :?:
    Quote Originally Posted by addy
    but its not at all a good idea... yu cannot modify the ckt and do new thngs in the same machine
    If ANYone can do the K-MAP, then it doesnt matter in the least!
    NO problem statement is the SAME, anyways.

Its a GOOD idea to be Logically inclined......and thats what Engineering is all about!!
    ROBOTICS need not be constrained to the Software savvy guys!!!
    docel
    ^Anything is possible..
    after YOU prove it!!

http://bangalorerobotics.tripod.com

Senior Member T-1000

hey hi venky,
    yeah... nice to be back here amongst all...
    yeah... k map is a nice idea.. good example of doing things the simple way.
    but then , indirectly you re freezing the algorithm which may not be a very bright idea.....
    after all , beyond a certain stage he has to jump to programming and higher end robotics in industry will demand that only in different forms...
    well... nevertheless , k map ll give one ultimate satisfaction of doing simple things reallie simple
    if u thought u r the only mad person on the planet.......u got serious competition here

Senior Member T-1000
    Blog Entries

well... adding my bit..

I was guiding some projects here, and one of the batches wanted an obstacle avoider without microcontrollers. I used to hate the idea, but since they wanted it that way, i resorted to gates.

I thought the circuit could become too complex, but with 3 sensors, i could reduce the equations so that i could use just one 7432 and one 7404 !!

imagine doing that with controllers..

Beginners sometimes uses the 40 pin 51, or an 16F877, or a mega 8, which is not at all required if the number of sensors are less than 5.

controllers can only check one condition at a time, but with gates, its all in an instant !!

And thinking about the speed - decision making is faster with gates!!
    Its cheaper with gates, and the building does not require a computer or programmer!!

I have slowly started to incline to the no-programming-side, for smaller robots and problems. I strongly believe beginners should not jump into programming straight away!! it will spoil their creative logical mind and they will not think for other solutions. (no fights intended.. just my personal opinion)[/b]
    .... I didnt do it ! ....

Senior Member T-1000

hi allbits,
    yeah... tats a nice solution to obstacle avoiding.
    me is also a non programming guy in my group though...
    i have worked and am working into robotics R and D division of Honeywell automation here in bangalore, and believe me, there's no escaping programming whether we like it or not, we ve to jump into it sooner or later. basic robots like line follower, obstacle avoiding etc cna be made using gates.
    but what if you want to scan an environment , use grid mapping technique and all to locate an obstcale with precision....
    so, the sooner, the better it is for kids to jump into it.
    i see high school guys happily programming mics in foreign countries ..
    all said and done, its the spririt of engg and innovation that must win in any discussion