Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 8051 my first love

Is getting a simple ARM development environment up and running very expensive? There is a free gcc port for ARM, but what about the programmer and actual IC? Can ARM be programmed using a simple "dongle" style programmer? Are there (reasonably cheap) ARM processors on breakout boards available locally?
    WinARM is made by the same folks who made WinAVR (I think). It uses the same 'Programmers Notepad', a similar command line GCC and Assembler etc. Its free and simple to set up.
    I've only worked with the NXP LPC2129, which is fairly simple to learn and setup, its available for Rs. 1350 (consider Rs. 950 for a ATMega128, and a LPC2129, with 256KB of Flash, 16KB of RAM, and 32 Bit etc.) from almost all channels, (official and unofficial). Unipro makes fairly cheap universal JTAG's for all chips, this includes ARM's, AVR's, 8051's(silicon labs etc.), 68xxxx (et al) together, so you can use the same JTAG for ISP. They also make the breakout boards for TQFP/MLF 32/44/62/100/144 etc.this again is quite cheap and readily available in the market. (they have a Distributor in Lajpat Rai, Delhi), and their head office in Mumbai.

But my debate wan't AVR versus ARM. It was; how the chip doesnt matter, and how easy it is to port code from one processor to another.

My two paise on the C vs assembly debate. In most programs only a small sections of the code eat up most of the processor time, writing this part in inline assembly (if necessary) in a C program makes sense. I guess a fully assembly program is only needed if there is a real shortage of space for the program (which is rarely the case).
    I partly agree. The great part about using WinARM,is that you can use Assembly Language as your main preference and fill in the difficult parts with 'C'. Since ARM is a 100% thoroughbred RISC style processor,it has all those high-level-style easy to use instructions. Also there is this C-compiler called 'Eclipse', which supposedly gives you mostly all single cycle execution.

Hi debu,

Unipro makes fairly cheap universal JTAG's for all chips, this includes ARM's, AVR's, 8051's(silicon labs etc.), 68xxxx (et al) together, so you can use the same JTAG for ISP. They also make the breakout boards for TQFP/MLF 32/44/62/100/144 etc.this again is quite cheap and readily available in the market. (they have a Distributor in Lajpat Rai, Delhi), and their head office in Mumbai.
    What is the cost of this programmer

Bibin John
    www.bibinjohn.tk

They cost about 9k, and the breakout boards cost about 1200 each. The name of the company is uc Micro sys. And the name of the product is UNIpro.

I love microcontrollers.. especially 8051!!

and hey.. those programmers are cheap... do you have any link where i can get more info on them?

Member Android

Quote Originally Posted by debu
    I've only worked with the NXP LPC2129, which is fairly simple to learn and setup, its available for Rs. 1350 (consider Rs. 950 for a ATMega128, and a LPC2129, with 256KB of Flash, 16KB of RAM, and 32 Bit etc.) from almost all channels, (official and unofficial).
    Is 1350 the cost of the chip plus the development board or the ARM chip alone? How much would a development board with the chip soldered on it cost? From where can one buy them?

Has anyone tried ELNEC programmers? The last time I enquired about the cost of BeeProg(ELNEC), it was 40k+. I would like to buy a universal programmer from a reputed brand which provides upgrades for new devices. My budget is 15K. I'm gonna work with AVRs ARMs PICs dsPICs 8051s and Freescales

Senior Member T-1000

I'm gonna work with AVRs ARMs PICs dsPICs 8051s and Freescales
    Slow down, please! That's a long list of processors!!! But I like your attitude... "I'm gonna work with" shows serious determination. Not something weak like "I wish I could work with" or "I hope to work with". Anyway, good luck! :-)

I would like to buy a universal programmer from a reputed brand which provides upgrades for new devices.
    I wouldn't do that... Because these programmers aren't usually in-circuit programmers. They are aimed primarily at production use and usually as stand alone units. For development and debugging it is really a pain to remove the processor from its circuit, put it in the programmer, program it and then put it back in the application circuit. Besides the price you pay for such universality is, well, the price. :-)

I can suggest you two cheapo options for PICs, dsPICs and Freescale semiconductors...

For PICs and dsPICs get yourself a PICkit2. Its about Rs. 2500.

For Freescale semiconductors, an easy way to get a programmer is by entering this contest:
    http://www.ammostech.com/news.html
    You enter the contest by paying this Freescale distributor of India Ammos Software Technologies Rs. 1000 and get a development board with a programmer and development software. The dev board is pretty basic mind you.

So total cost for in-circuit programmers for PICs, dsPICs and Freescale processors is Rs. 2500+1000 = Rs. 3500. That still leaves you with Rs. 11500 for programmers of other processors you have on your list.

HTH,
    Mohit Mahajan,
    www.biozen.co.in

Well, i have seen that xeltek is releasing a new product called superpro 5000. it should be much faster. But i was always a fan of their previous programmers: superpro3000. it supports 44K devices but the price is little bit expensive. Beside that they have ISP header which you can program the chip on PCB. no need to remove it.

forgot to add their website URL : www.xeltek.com

Junior Member User
    Blog Entries

i also used to work with 89c51 during college. Good for small projects and products.

You should plan to learn the ARM chips , that will give real good knowledge for doing serious
    hitech projects.

There are many small programmers you can build at home for 89c51. Dont buy programmer
    One is Easy-Downloader:http://www.kmitl.ac.th/~kswichit/easy2/easy2.htm
    I have tested it and it works fine ,long back.

If you have the parts youcan build it in 4hours max,if u get PCB 1hour

ARM are not that hard to learn and program. Hardware part is costly.. may be i
    will make available a cheaper board ..someday!
    Last edited by AVnetics; 01-25-2010 at 10:03 PM.

Junior Member User
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lhx View Post
    Is 1350 the cost of the chip plus the development board or the ARM chip alone? How much would a development board with the chip soldered on it cost? From where can one buy them?

Has anyone tried ELNEC programmers? The last time I enquired about the cost of BeeProg(ELNEC), it was 40k+. I would like to buy a universal programmer from a reputed brand which provides upgrades for new devices. My budget is 15K. I'm gonna work with AVRs ARMs PICs dsPICs 8051s and Freescales
    Vendors exploit the indian customers as arm boards are less here , the price LPC2129 actually is about 600Rs , they are very entry level ARM and do well for lightweight projects .
    Better get a SBC (single board computer) , here u get all facility to load RTOS like memory I/o ,have ethernet etc inbult , hasslefree programming.