Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Plagiarism:your thoughts about it

Blog Entries

Default Plagiarism:your thoughts about it

Been a long time since I wanted to start a discussion on this.

Dont you think plagiarism is rampant among us Indians?? I dont know how the patriots will react to this but think, how many of us do original work?? B.Tech Final projects are mostly cut paste from the internet without any references or credits to the original author. Even articles on many websites.

Even though I understand there is no use reinventing the wheel but dont we very easily take credit for someone else's work?

On the forums, I see people directly asking for code and schematics and projects and then make the same thing and say that it is theirs. Even in US I have seen Indian students clearly cut-pasting stuff off the internet and claiming it to be theirs. Unfortunately for those students, the anti plagiarism softwares find copied stuff out in a jiffy and no jokes, those students have criminal proceedings going on them. I have had a talk with a bunch of professors now and mostly all of them complain the Indian students to cheat, copy and not refer and doing all sorts of bad stuff.. WHY??

Do you know it takes only one students misdoing for professors to deem all of us Indians cheaters, copiers. I have seen these professors spending nights trying to look for plagiarism if the language is good on the report.

I have seen how many people in India graduate without any work.. they just join institutes, pay them to make projects and reports and submit them as final year projects. Here (US) in some universities, the students order projects from India (mostly CS and EE) and show them as final projects for MS!!!

I am not trying to be derogatory, or trying to deem the whole kind bad, I am just writing in what I saw, and majority of us do the same.

Give me your views about this.

Rao

Blog Entries

They all know it dosent matter ... its the marks and attendance that matters ... who cares how you get them. Also 90% people are pushed into Engg just because everyone else was doing it, they never knew what they wanted to do and 50 % think its a good degree to get before an MBA.

When u are not interested in something , ull find whatever way possible to make ur life easier to get though that shitty time. So if it means Cut and Copy , Pay , Bribe , fund .... who cares. I would do the same if im not interested , after all its human nature to be lazy. And when nobody keeps a check - it makes ur life a whole lot eaasier and then it becomes a part of your life.

BTW: Some Institutes ( MBA ) do have plagarism checkers and take serious action when its detected.
    Vikas Patial

@rao: True. Its not just in colleges, even in the industry R&D engineers are constantly trying to get a peek into their neighbours notebook. Somehow, believe it or not, I have only seen these traits in Indians and the Chinese. The only time I ever got marked for plagiarism was during my masters (in Lancaster), when my Chinese partner who was supposed to do half the report gave it in.

I suppose its a bad feeling as a community, to find that there are cheaters and theives amongst us.

Senior Member T-1000

Here at the University where I study, they reward you with a F and face probable expulsion.

Though there are quite a few Indian students over here, they all get warned in advance. But few cases still remain.
    We are told that we can freely take from where ever we want as long as we get the required permission and give due credit to the original authors work.

-Gerry

Default its happen only in india

hi guys . nice discussion guys. i guess we all need to look into our selves.

first and formost the only things indian care about is money. be it job or

marriage(selling daughter with dowry) or anything else . but let me share some thing very starange how many of us know radio communication was invented my J.C Bose from india and not marconi(stole boses idea). ultimately ethicks and stuff looks good only in developed countries. for india 'saab chalta hai bidu'.
    ppl learn what they see from childhood . its not ppl at fault its the culture that is at fault. i am not in favor of it but there r less choices when u live in india.

asimov

Blog Entries

Copy-Paste & claiming "I DONE IT" is rampant in India ( and otherplaces, too...! ) basically due to the ignorant and uninformed teachers in the universities in India. These are the people who accept ( and unnecessarily propagandise) tghese "Cut Paste" Xerox copies of others'n work as their own.
    There are also numeroyus "Institutes" that mass produce intrernet downloaded projects and supply to the students on HIRE-PURCHASE, FOR THE EXAMS. These Institutes "book" some of the college staff as their Marketing Managers.
    It is simple to realise that some project is beyond the students capability, provided that the examiners are themselves knowledgeable . This is quite funny: Some projects are sold to 50-60 students in my state. Dont these people remember what they have seen and examined in their previous exams????

Atleast 40% of the students do this. They are playing around with the ignorant teachers in their colleges.

People here dont have the basic courteasy of "acknowledging" the help given to them. They "learn" in this forum, claim that "they did it" and sell the same idea/project to others.

This wil continue till the teachers are more informed and strict with the submissions.

The Numerous "Competitions ' and TECHFESTS in India are also guilty of this. Ive been laughing at the many "prize winner" projects/paper presentations that are exact replicas downloaded from the Internet.
    Also, these Competition " organisers" blatantly call for complete details of the project- Abstract, Project report, Photos, Videos - as a qualifying and selection criteria. They then proceed to " reject" good projects, pick up the rejected projects and submit the next year as " their own" projects. Why do they need ALL details of the prioject for "SELECTIOPN"??? is'nt it the simplest way to improve the Host projects by copying the submitted projects from tens of students from all over the country???
    The IITs are blatantly using this method to COPY and ENHANCE their own projects!. Otherwise, what is the necessity for "complete Project Details" a month BEFORE the Events????

http://www.shaastra.org/n/events/Engenious
    http://www.shaastra.org/n/events/Fire+n+ICE ( design submission???)
    http://www.techniche.in/semiautonomous.html (other rules)

Credits MUST be given to the "Copied" project and its original creator.
    docel
    ^Anything is possible..
    after YOU prove it!!

http://bangalorerobotics.tripod.com

Senior Member Cyborg

India and Indian still have to cover long distance. most of are still in the hang over of the past and foul oversell’s.
    well in fields like engineering mostly there is no orginal work done. My friends used to teach junior that "to be an successful engineer you have be good in CCP i.e. Cut Copy Paste". And in our college (engineering ) most make copies of previous submitted assignments and all.
    In Indian engineering at the highest level also do not have any originality and i think there is not a single Indian standard adopted internationally and R&D done is mostly on already developed products/technolgy.
    Talking about myself , though google is my best trainer but i enjoy my incability of comprehending other's works well, so most of the time i just try to understand the process and make my my own solution doing some hit and trail.
    taking the example of my Major project at the initial i use to search if there is any previous work done on it but i found some wage information, so i resorted to started from the scrap. And during this i learn new language and debug whole without any previous experience. And i completed the project almost as i was thought of. I just use one code sequence which was for video interface as there was time constraint. but i mention that in my project report. One moment which annoyed me was when judges ask me "do you really make this robot on your own? “ people are doing so much of bluffing that there is all suspicion. But anyways now i got best project award for that. This make my believe on original work more intense. I will continue work like that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shashak
    s my best trainer but i enjoy my incability of comprehending other's works well, so most of the time i just try to understand the process and make my my own solution doing some hit and trail.

:arrow: . I just use one code sequence which was for video interface as there was time constraint. but i mention that in my project report.

:arrow: One moment which annoyed me was when judges ask me "do you really make this robot on your own? “ people are doing so much of bluffing that there is all suspicion. But anyways now i got best project award for that. This make my believe on original work more intense. I will continue work like that.

Bravo!

And Congrats!!
    docel
    ^Anything is possible..
    after YOU prove it!!

http://bangalorerobotics.tripod.com

On a related note, do go through

http://www.technophilia.co.in/projectsm.php

Engineering it is!

Also, something i caught on the site

We also provide home delivery service of Final Year Projects for the engineering students in any corner of the country, within a period of 14 days after the payment is made
    Why bother even copying projects when you get them at your door!

Senior Member Cyborg

Some Corrective solutions –

Although,
    We know that a solution to any such problem, relating to behaviour and morals, lies in the hands of the overall society, and how “everybody” looks-down and reacts to such acts.

But since such society-wide changes are hard to occur, we could start with smaller solutions, targeting prominent root causes –

1. More proactive and vigilant teachers, especially in colleges, and school-LABs.

If you all remember, it all starts at the “lab-reports”. Either in school (grade 10-12) or in colleges. (I know that the Teachers in schools are pretty vigilant about home-works, but lab-reports are the real starters for this issue, I think.)

Thinking of engineering colleges – its hard to have a “different” lab report for everyone, considering most of the experiments are the same.
    Since I have seen this in two different engineering colleges, (a rural college, and an iit) – I think most other colleges could adapt a few things from the iit lab evaluations.
    - Each experiment report is to be concluded with student’s individual conclusion, and evaluated by a keen teacher or lab-assistant.
    - The viva & exam of the Lab’s should be made much harsher, (generally it is not), so that only students with fundamental understanding of the experiments pass.
    - Some lab exams, (for example spice simulation), should have circuits which were never seen by students. Even the analog and digital lab could have x% marks for a "unknown circuit".

Basically, I think, plagiarism would reduce if we don’t “allow” them to plagiarise; like in standard paper-based tests- we don’t allow them to cheat.

So more proactive teachers, and Lab-assistants, and tougher lab-tests would help well in reducing this issue.

2. Secondly, this issue rises up drastically in the “final-year project” stage.
    For this too, I think only vigilant and proactive teachers can curb the issue at this stage.

I agree, no Teacher can have infinite knowledge, and at some point there would be a few projects, (purchased from a “project source company”) which maybe out of the comprehension of the professor, and he may not be able to judge if it is original-or purchased.
    But by being vigilant, there could be some attenuation of the problem.
    In iitb, I was a TA for such as “project” stage for few years – and found that –
    o Each group is assigned a different and a unique project every year and each project idea is unique or an extension of the past one from last year.
    o The students get to choose from list of projects ideas compiled by the prof.
    o If a group has a new-idea not in the list, they have to discuss it with the respective prof. and he evaluates if it should be done or not or modified. (this also happens in other colleges, but there the prof will blindly 'approve' the new idea – which would be actually be an idea from the “project sourcing company”.)
    o Most Important – The profs have a “looong” weekly meeting with their group, and discuss their project and the progress. The progress made in a week maybe slow- but at least the prof. gets to know the views of the team in detail. The prof. knows who is working how much, and what are their original ideas and contributions.
    – this step occurs relatively less often in other colleges, and is usually limited to 1-2min talk, if it happens.
    In fact in my college, some of my batch-mates even got their projects “in stages” from the sourcing-company. (stage 1 – paper, stage 2 bread-board, stage 3 rough pcb, and so on), just to “show” their prof that they are doing it!
    Now that’s what I call a professional “project sourcing company.”!. (shoot them in the head for killing the youth’s creativity.)

Overall, I think the prof’s in colleges & schools try hard to prevent cheating in exams, and if they try as hard to prevent cheating in “labs and projects”, this issue would be reduced a lot.

Anyway, there are no Prof’s here, (except those who already know it much better, like Docel). So these views will not reach the target audience , but to you all who already are aware of, and dislike this issue.
    At least you do, that’s good.