Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help needed for an aqua robot

Junior Member Newbie

Default help needed for an aqua robot

hey guys!!...i m planning to participate in a tech fest at IIT mumbai...in the aqua robot race....the problem is there is an obstacle in the path n the boat has to either go under water or above water...either of which are difficult....i wud prefer it to go underwater....ppl plz suggest me wht kind of design wud b optimal..n how do i make the boat go underwater for a while n back up??? 8) 8) 8)

for going underwater u could easily use two DC motor (very high rpm) and good props .. the motors and props should be facing downwards...
    by changing the direction of rotation of the motor u can easily go beneath the surface or resurface in water..

and ya dont forget to insulate ur RF antenna

Senior Member T-1000
    Blog Entries

for going underwater u could easily use two DC motor (very high rpm) and good props .. the motors and props should be facing downwards...
    very high rpm is not required underwater. In fact, its enough to use a 300 rpm motor(after gearing) for under water purposes, if u have a good prop.
    .... I didnt do it ! ....

depends upon the speed u want to achieve

Senior Member T-1000
    Blog Entries

Of course, you have to take care of the required speed.

The required geared - down shaft speed depends on the weight and aerodynamic (or is it hydrodynamic) design of the vehicle.

Compared to flying bots, bots in water require less speed, but more torque is desirable.
    It was difficult to control my sub under water with the 300 rpm motors, just because it went too fast!! Other than this, there are lots of issues that will come up as u build the bot!! Waterproofing, balancing, etc can come up with numerous problem statements, but its fun to solve them.

Junior Member Newbie

Default thanks a lot!!!

hey guys...thnx a lot for all ur help...but i still didnt understand hw to direct the motor...i mean..whr do i put in the third one...or m i gettin confusd??...is the submarine logic advisable??

Senior Member T-1000
    Blog Entries

Well well well..
    third motor..

The position, obviously should be below the bot!! the center !!
    the bot has to be symmetrical in terms of weight. otherwise you can have great problems balancing the bot when its moving!!

I sometimes used two motors instead of one for the bot to go down!! that solves much of the balancing problems. You can also use thermocol to balance the bot in water!!

i'll second that opinion.. its always better to have two motor to strike balance.. otherwise it might be possible that the bot would nosedive or start banking..

Junior Member Newbie

yup...got it finally...thnx all of u....hopefully i will strt wrk now since the design is almost ready....thnx again...